Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   LO sticking fingers in mouth while feeding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1384183)

halefire 04-23-2012 08:40 AM

LO sticking fingers in mouth while feeding

My LO just hit 5 months old, and he has started trying to stick his fingers in the corner of his mouth while hes nursing... every. single. time.!!!!
It breaks the latch and is generally just uncomfortable for me, oh not to mention his little fingernails are super sharp!!!
Obviously I have been trying to deter him by holding whichever hand is on top, but he fights me on it and squirms and squirms trying to get his hand to his mouth! AGH! Any ideas??? Anyone else had a LO do this? He has been a finger and thumb sucker since about 3 months.

Teexie 04-23-2012 11:52 AM

Re: LO sticking fingers in mouth while feeding

DD first did this when she was only a couple months old...I sort of lightly swaddled her arms with a baby blanket and that solved the issue. She started doing it again when she was around your LOs age and at that point it was annoying but funny at the same time. I would move her hand out of the way, and she would try to very slowly and slyly move it back up to her mouth when she thought I wasn't watching, lol. She did stop after a couple months. I think she was just learning so much and was trying to discover what this awesome milk felt like lol :)

halefire 04-23-2012 12:01 PM

Lol!!! I never thought about it that way- maybe he is trying to see what the milk feels like!!! Haha!

marnik8 04-23-2012 12:25 PM

Maybe try to stop the feeding when he puts his fingers in his mouth, let him explore for a moment, and then when he realizes he's not getting milk anymore he may decide it's not so excting afterall? Then go back to nursing him? Might take a few tries but that might send the message to him.

MamaJax2010 04-23-2012 05:27 PM

My son did this CONSTANTLY. Really, it seems they have to grow out of it. It helps to just keep pulling his fingers out, but they will more than likely go right back in. Eventually my son quit, but I'm not sure it was anything I did. Just keep taking them out...and good luck, momma! Those little nails are like knifes!

L J 04-23-2012 05:40 PM

Dd did this around that age. It was kind of funny and cute in theory, but I agree not too comfortable.

I bought a really fun nursing necklace, and she stopped immediately. Playing with that is more fun.

ChocoMeijin 04-23-2012 06:49 PM

I'd put my nursing pad in DS' hand, that seemed to help, somethig for him to hold that's 'new'.

halefire 04-23-2012 07:07 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!!!
I am gonna dig around in my jewelry box later and see if I have a necklace that might distract him. :-)

mommabritt 05-01-2012 04:44 PM

My youngest DS sucked his thumb while nursing all the time. It honestly never bothered me. Now in retrospect I think it was kind of weird.