Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Polyester/ PUL toxic? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1384212)

greencrunchymama 04-23-2012 09:24 AM

Polyester/ PUL toxic?

I know I'm not the first person to be a freak about it, and I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but hear me out. I'm worried about the suede cloth lining in the BG OS that we have being on my DD's bum. Polyester (suede cloth) is supposedly toxic as is PUL. The PUL I'm not as worried about because it doesn't directly touch her skin. I almost want to switch my stash over to all cotton/natural fabrics.

I tell myself it's better than sposies, but it still concerns me. I realize I might just be paranoid! :lostit:

boysniris 04-23-2012 09:29 AM

Re: Polyester/ PUL toxic?

I hope not, my son needs the stay-dry suedecloth or fleece at least overnight, and part-time through the day, so he doesn't get rashy!

Why do you think it's toxic?

m&m&m 04-23-2012 09:29 AM

If I remember correctly it is only toxic if burned. Polyester clothing is everywhere (your little one probably has clothing that has polyester too)

greencrunchymama 04-23-2012 09:30 AM

http://bodyecology.com/articles/top_...id_wearing.php

Don't freak out because of me, though!

Mama2Gage 04-23-2012 09:54 AM

I used to use prefolds with covers which I loved, but now my squirmy toddler won't still still for a prefold/snappi/cover routine! It's too much work and hassle to keep him still and at the end of each diaper change I am exhausted! So I decided to switch to the grovia hybrid system that has the cotton mesh inside instead of the exposed PUL like the other hybrid systems have. You Snap in insert thats organic cotton and cover...easy peasy! I also have some BGE AIO's too but they are all VERY well loved as I can't afford much. Well we' we've been having issues with leaks lately which I NEVER had with prefolds, and it's making me rethink this system I've chosen. I know there are Flips I could try with the OC inserts but the PUL will be exposed on my babies skin and like you...I'm worried about the toxicity of the PUL and well just the fact that I can't imagine what it would feel like to have PUL against my skin especially when it's hot and humid outside like where we live. I like that it's waterproof and doesn't absorb oders, unlike the mesh in the grovia's but now i'm just so torn about what works, what fits,and my views about what's right for my baby! I just wish I could go back to prefolds but fighting with my LO to just get a diaper on is just not what I want to do!

greencrunchymama 04-23-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2Gage (Post 14989475)
I used to use prefolds with covers which I loved, but now my squirmy toddler won't still still for a prefold/snappi/cover routine! It's too much work and hassle to keep him still and at the end of each diaper change I am exhausted! So I decided to switch to the grovia hybrid system that has the cotton mesh inside instead of the exposed PUL like the other hybrid systems have. You Snap in insert thats organic cotton and cover...easy peasy! I also have some BGE AIO's too but they are all VERY well loved as I can't afford much. Well we' we've been having issues with leaks lately which I NEVER had with prefolds, and it's making me rethink this system I've chosen. I know there are Flips I could try with the OC inserts but the PUL will be exposed on my babies skin and like you...I'm worried about the toxicity of the PUL and well just the fact that I can't imagine what it would feel like to have PUL against my skin especially when it's hot and humid outside like where we live. I like that it's waterproof and doesn't absorb oders, unlike the mesh in the grovia's but now i'm just so torn about what works, what fits,and my views about what's right for my baby! I just wish I could go back to prefolds but fighting with my LO to just get a diaper on is just not what I want to do!

Thanks for telling me this- my DD is only 3 months old and not very mobile so prefolds and covers are our go-to right now! I agree- PUL on the skin when it's hot does not sound fun!

boysniris 04-23-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2Gage (Post 14989475)

Would it be possible for you to trifold your PFs into the G-diaper shells? I have never tried Gdiapers, but that might be an option for using PFs on a budget (since you already have the Gs)

mamaspice 04-23-2012 10:41 AM

I prefer all cotton, and my dd's bottom does too! She is less rashy after a night of wet cotton than a pocket.

The cheapest and easiest solution for you might be to get some prefolds, trifold, and lay them into your bg's like a cover. I do this all the time and it works great. It is still only one step on and off although you have to be a bit more careful so it doesn't come apart.

You could also use a padfolded flat or something like a flip organic insert.

If you want to get completely away from synthetics, I find fitteds (I use GMD workhorses or Motherease for affordability) and a wool cover a very simple and easy to use system also.

ETA: I also use BGE's, Grovia AI2's, and Flips and like them but they are much more $$. I also am a complete chemical phobe- I try not ti be crazy about it, but anything synthetic is generally made from petroleum and essentially plastic, and does run the risk of petrochemical exposure and xenoestrogens.

mamaspice 04-23-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencrunchymama
http://bodyecology.com/articles/top_...id_wearing.php

Don't freak out because of me, though!

Ewwwww.

cdwelton 04-23-2012 10:56 AM

Every fabric is processed with chemicals. To be classified as an organic fabric it only means that it was grown organically and is still processed with the same chemicals. I wouldn't freak out. :2cents: