Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Pumping at work (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1384237)

Hopefulily 04-23-2012 09:58 AM

Pumping at work

I am going to be pumping three times a day at work. Can I keep adding to the same storage container or will I need separate storage for each of my sessions?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Miss Bliss 04-23-2012 10:55 AM

Re: Pumping at work

I pump three times a day also but I'd be curious to see the responses. I pump into the same two containers through out the day and don't have any issues.

Lilwndr 04-23-2012 11:02 AM

As long as you don't refrigerate between sessions (fresh breastmilk can be kept at room temp for several hours) you can just pump into or add to same container. However, if you put it in fridge after pump you need separate container for next pump. Once that one is chilled you can combine.

Rule is, only add cold milk to cold milk, and milk pumped within same 24 hours can be combined.

Generally what I do is pump mid morn. Put bottles in my desk drawer or leave on desk. Pump mid afternoon (usually nurse babe at lunch) into same bottles. Then put in fridge until I'm ready to head out. I use a freezer pack to keep cool during transport. A lot of times I will just leave them at daycare fridge when I pick up. I use playtex drop ins and usually just pump directly not those (they make a converter for Medea pumps) so no extra steps. Then I just have to take lean nipples for the next day because the milk is already there in my nursers.

lilmomma83 04-23-2012 08:08 PM

I pump into the same bottles...I have an insulated bag that I keep them in with no ice pack...they have been in there up to 16 hours and been fine...

cutebluebaby 04-23-2012 08:34 PM

I pump into the same bottles (rinse them out afterwards), but store the milk in a separate bottle. I then pour the milk from pump session 2 and 3 into the same container as session 1. I've read that as long as the milk was pumped within 24 hours of the first session, it's okay to store the freshly pumped milk in the already refrigerated milk.

Manderzthegr8 04-23-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilwndr (Post 14989859)
As long as you don't refrigerate between sessions (fresh breastmilk can be kept at room temp for several hours) you can just pump into or add to same container. However, if you put it in fridge after pump you need separate container for next pump. Once that one is chilled you can combine.

Rule is, only add cold milk to cold milk, and milk pumped within same 24 hours can be combined.

:yeahthat:
I've been told the main rule is 'Do NOT add warm milk to cold milk' it can introduce bacteria.

Liadan23 04-24-2012 08:10 AM

i always pumped into the same container. i didn't know about the "don't add warm milk to cold milk" rule, so i did it, and it was fine. i suppose it makes sense though, so it might be best to just leave it out instead of chilling it as recommended by a pp since i know that bm can be left out at room temp for awhile.

megs715 04-24-2012 09:19 AM

I pump and store all of mine seperately. I generally pump enough from one session for a bottle, and I freeze that day's milk for later use (have a freezer stash that needs to be used up first). So I pump, store into a freezer bag and put it in the freezer at work. On the way home it stays mostly frozen.

leila03ash 04-24-2012 10:11 PM

I was told don't mix cold and warm milk also but my lactation consultant told me I could combine milk with 48 hours.

earthchickie 04-29-2012 08:15 AM

I've read now several places that you can pump into cooled milk:

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/a...ing-breastmilk
"You can pump directly into refrigerated milk as long as you add the milk within 24 hours of when the original milk was expressed."

The info says there are enough antibodies in milk to kill off bacteria.