Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Oct (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   West Virgina *miff*... slight rant. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1384279)

Sageac 04-23-2012 12:09 PM

West Virgina *miff*... slight rant.

:banghead:

So I don't know what to do. I have had two very amazing natural births, one in water at a birth center, and one at home. I live in a state with *horrendous* birth statistics (42% Cesarean rate, almost 0% of birth have "no interventions" and the hospitals have no eating, no children, only 2 family members in the room policies). Also, the OB could/may report me to DHHR for suggesting that I don't want to immunize/ put the silver nitrate in the eyes.

On the flip side, we're on public assistance this time... so I am stuck with the doctors they choose for pre-natal care, or I have to pay out-of-pocket for the full cost of the midwife, which is not in the budget. (Unassisted birth is grounds for removal of children by CPS and incarceration for "practicing medicine without a licence, child endangerment/neglect of medical need.")

So, one way a friend went in this situation is to see the OB for prenatal care, while making a deal with a local CNM to pay her for attending the home birth. The doctors all seemed cool with that and DH says it's important enough to plan to set money aside or even (gasp) use the CC if needed. :headscratch: My stress is coming from the fact that seeing a DR (we usually use natural medicine) means opening ourselves up to judgement and scrutiny of people that could cause us to get into trouble with the authorities... Not that we are doing anything wrong... I am "still" nursing my almost 2 year old... we co-sleep... we don't see "DR" for any reason, and use natural medicine/nutrition to heal most illness. The thing is... where we are, we don't know how they will react and I'm terrified to say anything to them for fear of being reported as a sex abuser (for nursing and co-sleeping) or for "neglecting" my children because they see only a naturopath (un-recognized by my state) one state over.

Yet, to see no-one and have the baby at home leaves us open to the same and or worse consequences if "found out" later...
:banghead:

I don't know what to do. It could be that my pregnant brain is reeling and not in a place to think rationally.

I just want a healthy :greenbaby: you know?

spencerrn 04-23-2012 12:18 PM

Re: West Virgina *miff*... slight rant.

I adhere to a strict policy of only answering questions that are asked. They are probably NOT going to ask you if you are still nursing. I mean you baby is 2 right? LOL. They will not ask you about sleep sharing.

You could call the hospital and ask what there policy on eye ointment and vaccines are. I would just say you have been tested for STDs and you do not feel the ointment is necessary. AS far as vaccines, I would just tell them that you will get the Hep B at 2 months so that all the vaccines are given by the same MD even if you don't plan to see the MD or give any. They don't have to know that.

I wouldn't lie but I wouldn't offer up any more details then necessary.

Sageac 04-23-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencerrn (Post 14989959)
I adhere to a strict policy of only answering questions that are asked. They are probably NOT going to ask you if you are still nursing. I mean you baby is 2 right? LOL. They will not ask you about sleep sharing.

You could call the hospital and ask what there policy on eye ointment and vaccines are. I would just say you have been tested for STDs and you do not feel the ointment is necessary. As far as vaccines, I would just tell them that you will get the Hep B at 2 months so that all the vaccines are given by the same MD even if you don't plan to see the MD or give any. They don't have to know that.

I wouldn't lie but I wouldn't offer up any more details then necessary.

I will take that route as well, only offer what is asked. They may ask about nursing, as in "how long did you nurse" which I haven't decided how to answer. maybe "as long as they wanted to" would be sufficient for them. laugh it off at that point.

as far as hospital policy... I worked there as a social worker for over a year, I know the policy book inside and out (as I tried to get them to change several while I was there).

Their reasoning behind the strict adherence to the vaccine/medication schedules come from the belief that the population they serve is less-healthy than most and needs as much service/medicine/treatment as they can get while in-hospital because they are less likely to have follow up care. And they *do* serve a high number of undocumented, low income, and "unhealthy" living folk, so it's not unreasonable. Only, the hospital/staff come from an allopathic mindset that I don't subscribe to and, frankly, see as the source of much of the illness in our society. The DR we saw when my DS1 was an infant was accepting of the "waiting" line on vaccines. I'm not sure what will happen with this one.

**note, the other two were not born in WV, so this is the first time I am coping with WV policies affecting my life.

sillyutalktome 04-23-2012 12:41 PM

I would only offer what answers are needed and then birth with someone outside of the hospital if it's that way. :hugs: that sounds really hard to deal with.

Melmonkey 04-23-2012 12:42 PM

I had C at Women's and Children's in Charleston WV, She received no vaccines in the hospital she was born in, no silver nitrate in her eyes. Her cord was delayed in being clamped and cut. I got the birth I wanted and my OB and her ped were perfectly fine with our choices.

I also know a group of women who home birth and have never once heard of them saying they would have their children taken away because they birthed at home :headscratch:

Where in WV are you having this baby? Maybe you can find a different OB who will be more helpful

Sageac 04-23-2012 12:51 PM

Your birth sounds wonderful! I am so glad to hear that.

I'm in the eastern panhandle, and I can give you horror stories... Women I saw treated horribly after coming in having attempted birth at home with a midwife, children removed long enough to shoot them full of vaccines, and then returned to parent's custody... long CPS investigations stemming from simple injuries, but only *after* learning of non-vaxing, co-sleeping, extended nursing habits. Maybe things are different there, but here, I am worried. Maybe I am over-reacting to the hard stories I have heard, it might all be fine. The not knowing is what causing me worry.

There is a group of home-birth families in my area as well. There is only one CNM tho, and she and my DH got in an argument at our first pre-natal 4 years ago, so we went a different route. Things are so convoluted and the Birth Circle that was planned for tonight has been cancelled due to weather. Thanks for listening, hopefully I can work out my fear here and have everything go well once I get in and see someone new.
:)

Deanie 04-23-2012 06:24 PM

42% C section rate?!?!?! Are you sure about that stat?

Deanie 04-23-2012 06:29 PM

Ok, nevermind. I just googled c-section rates and found 36% for WV in 2009. I had no idea c-sections were so common. I guess I just dont' know many people who've had them, and I know quite a few women with 4 or more kids.

I'd just look around for a good practitioner. Do you have many options? Where I used to live, there was pretty much just one practice and where I live now there are a TON.

Sageac 04-23-2012 07:13 PM

I am asking around for more practitioners, and YES, the 42% was the statistic for the two local hospitals in 2007. More than half the women I know that opted for hossy-birth here (most of them with only one child) ended up getting cut when the baby's heart rate had a drop at any point in the labor process. (some of these even when the heart rate evened out after the drop... )

DH and I talked about it more tonight and have come to some good decisions: we'll see the supposedly natural-friendly doctor in town and see how it goes, and if we sense conflict or issues, we'll go out of town and stay with friends for the birth. :)

HeatherlovesCDs 04-23-2012 07:36 PM

"eastern panhandle" is that where I'm thinking it is? Why not pop over to VA or MD to deliver? Maybe you aren't as close to the area that I'm thinking of.

:hugs: I'm sorry you are dealing with this.