Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Anyone have trouble TTC after C-section? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1385355)

sdodge 04-25-2012 11:20 AM

Anyone have trouble TTC after C-section?

I have had 2 c-sections, June 2008 and August 2010. It took us 3 months to conceive ds and 6 months for dd. Since the birth of dd, I spot a lot (cycle lasts up to 12 days between spotting and actual bleeding). I also have a part of the incision that sticks out? Anyways, I went to ob in February to discuss all of these issues. And its now cycle #14 of NTNP/ but mostly TTC. I have a period every month and positive opk's but haven't been able to get pregnant. My ob said he was not concerned since I have had two kids with no help. :banghead: Anyone else experience this? What could be the problem?

aries416 04-25-2012 11:32 AM

Re: Anyone have trouble TTC after C-section?

No idea. I have head that there is a correlation between c-sections and problems getting pregnant. I got pregnant both times the first time we tried. We're not going for a third for another year-ish, so I don't know if we'll have issues now. I had 2 c-sections.

austinandashlynsmommy 04-25-2012 11:33 AM

It has been exactly the opposite for me, although I don't think it has anything to do with delivery. I've always been extremely irregular (think 1-2 cycles per year and probably no ovulation). I needed clomid and metformin for my first 3, and both my loss last summer and this baby were surprises and my cycles came back strangely normal and 31 day regular after dd. I've had 3 C sections and will be having my fourth in August.

Mrs_B2009 04-25-2012 04:20 PM

I've heard that some women have a harder time conceiving after a c/s. Can you ask your OB for some help, given that it's been over a year since you stopped birth control?

raisingcropsandbabies 04-26-2012 03:41 AM

I didn't have trouble concieving after my 1st c/s (second child), but I did have 2 miscarriages in a row. I've heard it can happen as a result from c/s, but who knows. My doc wasn't worried at all. Then I've went on to have 2 more babies via c-section.

Can they tell how much scarring you have through a ultrasound or something? Maybe that would be a big clue?

mom2cse 04-28-2012 07:19 AM

If you have not looked through it, I would recommend the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". We use Natural Family Planning, so I have a good understanding of what is happening with my cycles. I was very regular until after the birth of my second which was also my second c-section. As usual, things were a bit off while nursing my second, but they never returned to "normal" as we getting ready to TTC #3. For me, I was able to look at my charts and see that I was ovulating late and had a shorter luteal phase (time between ovulation and the next period). The late ovulation wasn't much of an issue as long as we continued to DTD until after I was able to confirm ovulation. However, my luteal phase needed to be longer so that any baby that was conceived would have time to stick. With my doctor's OK, I was able to address this with some supplements.

If your doctor isn't willing to look into the issue, it may be good for you to learn about your cycle so you can try to see what, it anything, needs to be addressed. I really didn't have trouble conceiving my first two (first try and third try), but had we not had a better understanding of my cycle and made changes before TTC, I imagine we would have had trouble with the third (took two cycles).

Good luck!

sdodge 04-30-2012 07:56 PM

Thanks everyone! We have done natural family planning in the past, but have done a modified version the last year (which includes keeping track of # of days in cycle, some opk's, and watching cervical mucus), but no temping. I have started temping this month, although I don't expect it to tell me anything new (as I was getting positive opk's every month). This is the beginning of our 13th cycle. After this one, we will try clomid per the dr.'s suggestion. For now, just waiting and trying, lol!