Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   am I the only parent that doesn't care if their kid(s) goes to college? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1385698)

SillyEllie 04-25-2012 11:10 PM

am I the only parent that doesn't care if their kid(s) goes to college?

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who cares less if their kids went to college. I guess I feel this way because I have a cousin who has a masters but can't find a job. And when I was a pharm tech at Walgreens my pharmacy manager was in thousands of thousands of dollars in debt. Another pharmacist I worked with lived in a trailer because he was so far in debt from school. My husband is a high school drop out and I feel like he provides pretty well for us. We aren't rich but we are happy with what we have. I mean, if my kids decided they wanted to go to college I would support them but with the cost of tuition now a days I would just hate for them to be in so much debt. The only thing I wish for my kids is to be happy with their life. But I also see people pushing their kids through school to get into a good college but then I always read in newspapers and stuff that more then ever college graduates can't even find jobs or get jobs that they are way over qualified for. I dunno, I guess I was just wondering if I'm the only one that feels this way

UnderTheStars 04-25-2012 11:13 PM

Re: am I the only parent that doesn't care if their kid(s) goes to college?

Well, according to recent stats only 1 out of every 2 college grads are able to find appropriate work right now...so....

I hope that improves by the time my kids are old enough, however I will support them in any decision they choose to make. I will certainly encourage them to continue their education, but in the end I'm more concerned with them being happy and successful at whatever they do, whether it required a degree or not!

MavericksMama 04-25-2012 11:14 PM

Not at all, I feel that way exactly! Was just reading in the newspaper today that 1/2 of college graduates are unemployed or underemployed. My husband dropped out of college after one semester and is a Marine, but even before becoming a Marine, he had worked three jobs and was the Parts Manager at AutoZone starting the day of his 18th birthday, the day he became eligible. He could have provided for us on that salary, he made good money. We would love to see our kids go straight into the workforce and work their way up or go to a tradeschool instead of college.

SillyEllie 04-25-2012 11:19 PM

we all must have read the same article lol

ktmelody 04-25-2012 11:20 PM

Recent studies show you are best to attend a year or two if college then drop out. College drop outs have the highest rate of employment right now. ;)

I think it is up to my children. So far most want to go. My oldest is taking her GED and SATs/HSPEs next summer so she can attend college at 16 years old. Likely community college but she wants to go and I am all for it.

My 13 year old is undecided. She loves photography and wants to be a nat geo
Photog and needs college for that.

I will support them either way.

beaute_marquee 04-25-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody
Recent studies show you are best to attend a year or two if college then drop out. College drop outs have the highest rate of employment right now. ;)

Woot! My half of a degree in youth ministry is good for something after all!

majomama 04-25-2012 11:27 PM

I've been living on my own since I was 16. I had to leave high school to work to support myself.(NY state law said I could only work 4 hrs a week if I was enrolled in school). I started working at the Ritz Carlton when I was 18 as a hostess in te restaurant. I worked there for 5 years and worked my up to Catering manager in that time making well over $60,000 plus bonuses. Individuals thy came in with a college degree at the same age were starting at base pay.
Before I had DD1, I was working at The Four Seasons making close o $80,000 with no high school diploma!!
If my kids don't want to go to college and start in te work force right away, I will be happy with that. If they decide to go to college, I'm ok with that too:)
I am not downplaying education at all but there are certain vocations where experience trumps diploma.

UnderTheStars 04-25-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody (Post 15005260)

Yessss! I knew I was ahead of my time....

DalesWidda 04-26-2012 12:51 AM

Nope, I feel the same way. My older two have no desire to go to college at this point.They both want to go into business ownership. I told them that they should plan on taking business classes, but they don't need a four year degree. Of course, they are 10 and 8, we got time!

2+2macht4 04-26-2012 01:02 AM

Well the german education system is very different and many jobs do vocational training even nursing which in the US would be a degree.

Not to mention here at age 12 their education process is determined for them so kids may never have a choice if they are sent through one educational path.

If they want to go to college as adults they have to do 3 years night school to finish gymnasium then study. My dh wants to but 5 nights a week for 3 years would force him to miss to much with our family.

I wish the system here was different, I feel they rob children of opportunities, but in the end no I do not require my kids go to college, but I do demand they finish at least realschule and then complete and ausbildung.