Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Portland OR area mamas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1386552)

jamieism 04-27-2012 05:41 PM

Portland OR area mamas?

We are seriously thinking about moving out to Portland, and I am not sure exactly what I am asking for but all advice is welcome.

We definitely would like at least one of us to have a job to start with but we aren't sure what our minimum "it needs to earn x dollars/year" bottom line should be.

DH is a school music teacher but needs to do something else as school teaching has destroyed his immune system. This is part of what is driving our "let's do it now" thing. He needs a different job and while I love teaching college, my current job is not a long term option so it seems like - why wait?

For DH, we aren't sure exactly what he should do, though in addition to teaching, he has arts admin background and has run church choirs as well. I am an academic - a cultural anthropologist specifically, and academic jobs are not so forthcoming, so I am also looking at alternatives where a social science research degree would be useful. I am not sure what those will turn out to be either. gosh, do we sound vague or what?

We are a family of 5, one middle schooler (will be in 7th grade next year), one who will be in 2nd grade and is dyslexic, and one toddler.

I think that's all the important info. Except the dog and the cat, I guess.

Laylas_Mom 06-20-2012 08:58 AM

I am also highly interested in moving to Portland. It's just me and my DD and all of our family is here (Virginia) but I am do over this place. I don't belong. I am bumping this on hopes some Portland area mamas can share some info :thumbsup:

stevensmom 06-20-2012 09:03 AM

I live in Vancouver Washington. Just outside of Portland.

I'd say jump the river and come over here :giggle2: we don't have income tax. But we have sales tax. However sales tax free Oregon is just five minutes away. So we always head there for the big ticket items.

As far as jobs. Portland was doing not so well in teaching jobs. We had a school district in Portland go on strike the week before school was set to be out.

We do have plenty of universities and colleges for anthro.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

Ciarrawuvscd 07-28-2012 02:48 AM

I'm from portland/ Vancouver! Love love love Portland! It's absolutely wonderful!

2+2macht4 07-28-2012 03:38 AM

Re: Portland OR area mamas?

I am from Portland I miss it so much. I hope that some day dh will get offered a job with relocation and we can go back.

mrspopo 07-31-2012 03:27 PM

Re: Portland OR area mamas?

I love PDX. I wish I had some job advice for you but that's not my specialty. It's been a few months... do you have any updates on whether you moved or not?