Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Are my children monsters? :( update post 110 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387272)

JasmineMama 04-29-2012 03:43 PM

Are my children monsters? :( update post 110

I went out to brunch with my two boys (2 and 1/2 and 10 months) today with my sister. Actually, my sister got there first and she told me about some of this. But, my DS1 will take the jelly packets and stack them and count them and sort them to pass the time. He always does this every time we go to this place. Well, the server came over and told my sister that she was going to have to throw everything on the table away because my son touched it :( When I got there (I was late because I was working) my sister had cleared the table of everything so DS1 wouldn't touch it. The server kept coming back and making comments about how she hated to see the food (jelly packs and sugar packs) go to waste. I felt really attacked. At the end of the meal she brought out containers for me to take the stuff home -- I don't use sweetener, so I refused that and she said, "well, fine, but it's a shame that it has to go to waste because of you"

This is a pretty family friendly, laid back atmosphere -- not like a fancy place -- just a diner. Now I'm thinking are my boys really that bad? They don't like to be strapped into things and I've never been that kind of parent, but now I kind of want to cry and wish I could redo my son's whole life and just keep him buckled into his seat so he wouldn't protest so much if I try to strap him in a highchair :cry:

EmilytheStrange 04-29-2012 03:46 PM

Re: Are my children monsters? :(

I would have asked to talk to a manager about how you were being treated.

Absolutely unwarranted.

mumtwiceover 04-29-2012 03:49 PM

That's crazy - does she watch all her customers to make sure they don't touch ANYTHING but what they use?? Those packets are left on the tables because they are SEALED and can't be contaminated unless they get opened!!! Give me a Break - I would call and complain about her to the manager!!!

Your kids not monsters!!!

Bella Catalina 04-29-2012 03:52 PM

Well if your kids are monsters, so are mine. My 6yo loves to choose his jelly packet for pancakes, and often he will touch a bunch of them because there are 3-4 flavors to choose from. The packets are sealed. They were touched by servers who refill them every day during mis en place. They would be touched by other diners. We have never had someone say something. Now, if he was tearing open sugar packets or poking holes in them, well of course they are ruined. But just touching them? No way.

You should call and file a complaint with the manager.

Nerissa 04-29-2012 03:53 PM

Well then mine are too. The always play with the jelly packets and I have never heard of them having to throw them away. I would have asked to speak to the manager on her behavior or I would call and talk to the manager. I have managed restraunts and if my employee treated a customer that way she would be in big trouble. I would want to know about it too. The only things that get changed out between customers is silverware, plates, glasses. Do you know how many people touch the catsup bottles and I am sure they hardly ever get washed, let alone thrown away.

maddys_mama 04-29-2012 03:55 PM

That's ridiculous. I've seen grown men buildling things with those jelly packets...does she give them a hard time too?! I'd talk to the manager about your experience.

MCR 04-29-2012 03:55 PM

Well heck they need to throw everything away on the tables every time someone leaves. I see all kinds of people riffling though the jams and jellies to find the flavor they want, and the sugars too.
Stupid waitress. Your kids are not monsters and if the worst they do is count jelly packets then you are doing a brilliant job.
I'd call the manager and complain about the waitress humiliating you in public then also complain that all kinds of people touch this stuff not just you or your kids.

Agla 04-29-2012 03:55 PM

I understand you are upset because no one wants to be called out but:

I don't want to use the jelly packs and sweetener packets that your kid has put his hands all over and possibly put near his mouth.

How did he get them after your sister cleared the table?

Bring some special toys, extra snacks, your own packs in a ziploc.

my2sweets 04-29-2012 03:57 PM

What? Yeah Id be calling her manager.

this_mel_rocks 04-29-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agla (Post 15022548)
I understand you are upset because no one wants to be called out but:

I don't want to use the jelly packs and sweetener packets that your kid has put his hands all over and possibly put near his mouth.

How did he get them after your sister cleared the table?

Bring some special toys, extra snacks, your own packs in a ziploc.

I suggest not going into any restaurant then. Everything is touch multiple times. Bottles are refilled from larger bottles. Please touch their food and then grab a bottle for more condiments after wiping their hands, mouths. :thumbsup: