Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Skinny Kid Alert!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387589)

kimsclothkids 04-30-2012 09:39 AM

Skinny Kid Alert!!!

My 6 year old is allergic to all types of nuts. He LOVES meat! He really isn't very picky but he just doesn't eat much at all. He has been sick lately so he has lost weight (which he doesn't have enough of to lose.) I need some high calorie snacks to make for him that he will eat. He has to gain some weight. He is less than the 5th percentile in weight now. Help!!:cry:

P.S. My son is 6 years old and weighs 37 lbs.

wordmama 04-30-2012 09:49 AM

If he's not a big eater, maybe try to add calories in liquid form. Smoothies can add dairy, fruit, fats, and any supplements you toss in there. If he's anything like my kids, he'll think they're a special treat and slurp them down!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

karaintx 04-30-2012 09:54 AM

I was going to say Smoothies. Can he do pediasure?
Healthy cookies?

the_oz_girl 04-30-2012 09:55 AM

Re: Skinny Kid Alert!!!

Smoothies and milkshakes are the gifts from the gods if you ask my kids, lol.

Try topping his meat with rich sauces, breading them (which will get the sauces to stick better), serving them over healthy grain sources like pasta or potatoes, or incorporating them into rich soups or stews.

BSWmama 04-30-2012 09:58 AM

Full fat dairy - yogurt, cheese. You can add flax seed oil or olive oil to smoothies or other snacks.

my2sweets 04-30-2012 10:01 AM

What does his ped say? My dd(7) is 5% for weight. She actually fell below the charts for a few yrs. She takes after me. I was always really thin growing up...actually until I was 28 when my metabolism took a serious halt lol Anyhow her ped was never concerned. Just told me to keep giving her a well balanced diet(and not to add a bunch of veg oil/butter ect!). I kept her on whole dairy products, lots of avocados....and really dont worry about it. I would put a call in to the ped if your really concerned :hugs:

mariamommy 04-30-2012 10:01 AM

If he likes to eat oatmeal or hot cereal for breakfast, you can make it with a combo of whole milk and half and half, that will thicken it up nicely.

Smoothies can be made (and are incredibly delicious!) with frozen fruit and heavy whipping cream.

kimsclothkids 04-30-2012 10:21 AM

His doctor has started getting concerned because he has lost 3 pounds in the last month due to sickness. Like I said, he loves meat and he almost won't eat carbs. I am not sure if he won't eat carbs because it makes him feel bad or what the deal is. We started giving him Boost but he is sick of it now. I am going to start giving him smoothies today. He loves fruit and veggies but he can't have much citrus because it breaks his skin out.
His eczema is pretty bad too. We moisturize his skin 3 times daily and also have steroid cream that he has to use at least once a week. His immune system is lacking at this point too. He takes Zyrtec, Singulair, Flonase, Flovent and vitamins daily. I just don't know what to do for him. I have 2 other children and we have never had these problems with them.

thtr4me 04-30-2012 10:32 AM

Can he have diary? I used Yobaby drinkable yogurt (made with full fat) to get calories into my picky eating DS. He is 6yo, and barely 40lbs. I also give him at least one glass of full fat goat milk a day, since he cannot drink straight cow's milk. We also do lots of bananas and fatty cuts of steak (and let him have all of the fat trimmings, as well as all the meat he wants. Avocados are also good, but DS doesn't like them, so we don't push it.

I have started just loading up the fridge with tons of fresh fruit and veggies that he will eat, and letting him eat all the fruit and veggies he wants to when he is home, as well as the typical 3 meals a day. It seems like he is eating non-stop.

Hope that you can find something that works for you, I know how frustrating it is trying to get and keep weight on a skinny kid :hugs:.

songbird516 04-30-2012 01:36 PM

Does he like coconut, or can he eat that? Rice made with coconut milk and a little bit of sugar is super yummy and packed with nutrients and calories. Can you give him some immune boosters? That its a lot of meds for a little guy! Poor thing. Homemade ice cream would be awesome also.