Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   MFW or HOD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387592)

stephcrouse 04-30-2012 10:11 AM

MFW or HOD?

I am so torn between Heart of Dakota (Beyond for my second grader and the new Missions to Modern Marvels for my 8th grader) or My Father's World (combining them in Exploring Countries and Cultures).
Anyone use either or both programs and want to give me some input?
We hs for a very brief time this year using Sonlight, but they are finishing up the year in ps. My older DD will likely use MFW highschool, and my DS will probably do MFW K and 1st. So, I can't decide what to do this coming year!

HeatherlovesCDs 04-30-2012 10:38 AM

Re: MFW or HOD?

I have used MFW K and we are going to start 1st in the next couple of months.

I was struggling to decide between the two also. I'll tell you the biggest reason I choose MFW...combining! To me, that was really a good thing and a huge bonus. The other reason I decided on MFW was because I really like how the Bible is incorporated into every subject. It's not a stand alone portion of the curriculum. I know HOD is a Biblically based curriculum and comes from that worldview, but I feel like it has a Bible portion that is separate from the rest of the curriculum and not strongly incorporated throughout even though it does come from a Biblical worldview. Hopefully, I'm making sense. LOL.

Anyway, I think either is a good curriculum. I've looked a lot at HOD and been very tempted to try it out. Combining children is the biggest thing that makes me stay with MFW. I don't want to try to do more than one or two cores at once. Eventually, you'd be able to combine your youngers also, but in HOD, you wouldn't from what I saw. I have 5 going on 6 kids who are all young, but about 2 years apart. (2 sets of twins means they are all young and still 2 years apart. LOL) So, getting them all together eventually is super important to me.

Good luck deciding!

stephcrouse 04-30-2012 11:02 AM

Thanks for your input Heather! Yes the combining is a pro of MFW in my opininion, but with only the girls right now, and them being so far apart, I really don't think it would benefit us at this time. I almost feel like I would either be working above my 2nd grader's level or below my 8th grader's level, which would be bad since she needs to prepare for high school level work. :dunno:
Also, I am almost stearing away from MFW for the same reasons you chose it. We are "new" Christians, and the heavy Bible integration and missions focus might be a bit much for us...?

Jen's_4 04-30-2012 12:25 PM

We have MFW coming in the mail this week for first grade! I'm SOOO excited. I haven't actually used either curriculum yet though. But is there somewhere you could go where you could see both currics in person and leaf through to get a better idea of what you might enjoy? Maybe a friend or member of a local HSing group has one (or both!) that you could look through? Or a HSing convention in your area? That is what I would recommend because I was just trying to decide the same thing for our family, but was leaning towards MFW. I went to a convention this weekend and then I knew that MFW was for us. Some families will love MFW and some will love HOD and they both look like great programs. But seeing it in person would probably be how you could best decide which one would work better for your family/your teaching style/your kids learning style. Good luck and hope you find one you love!

stephcrouse 04-30-2012 01:15 PM

I am going to a convention on May 4th, and MFW will be there. I am going specifically to look at that curriculum and all of the things they recommend. I had planned to use ECC this year, but then I saw that HOD was a similar and just as well-loved curriculum so now I'm torn...

mcrisp78 04-30-2012 09:19 PM

:) loving this info!

HeatherlovesCDs 04-30-2012 09:29 PM

Stephanie - I think at the conference, you should talk to them specifically about your concerns with using ECC for both. I definitely have not done the combining thing yet, but my understanding is that they have supplements to bring it down to the younger children's level and up to the older ones. I know people do it. But, again, I haven't done this. So, I can't really give you any experienced info on it.

As for the Bible, you'll just have to decide if that is a deal breaker or not. If it is, then definitely, go for HOD. It certainly includes Bible still, but I don't think it is the focus of the curriculum.

One other suggestion would be to post any questions you have about each curriculum on their forums. Both MFW and HOD have them. I am on MFW often and they are very helpful. I assume the same about HOD. Obviously, most of them are users and my be partial, but you can get your questions answered by moms who have actually use the program.

I know the decision is hard. I was so relieved when I finally decided. Good luck deciding!

stephcrouse 05-05-2012 06:21 PM

After reading and reading the reviews, and looking and looking at MFW and hod websites...I think I decided I don't want to do ecc. I don't really get how combining them will work for any of us, and I really am drawn to hod beyond or MFW adventures for my DD. I think I will go with the new mtmm HOD curriculum for my older DD. So now I have to decide...adventures or beyond?!?
I have to admit that the book basket is scaring me away. I wonder if I could combine the two a bit?

thirdtimemomma 05-05-2012 07:28 PM

If it were me I would choose on provider so HOD for all or MFW for all. Pp do SL individualy as well. And there is no bb.

Sent from my "smart" phone

Jen's_4 05-07-2012 12:41 PM

I was just wondering how the convention went and if it helped you sort out what you needed for your kiddos.