Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Would you let your 3yo SON.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387622)

Fashionably Green Baby 04-30-2012 12:02 PM

Would you let your 3yo SON....

get his ears pierced? My 3 yo son wants his ears pierced. He is now officially the only member of our family that doesn't have their ears pierced (although I do not wear earrings) and ever since YDD who is 9 months old got her ears pierced he wants his done. He asks a few times a day and I am actually kinda torn.
We are what I guess would be considered an alternative type of family so tattooes and piercings are things both my husband and I have and I have no problem with guys having their ears pierced (obviously since my husband has his pierced) I guess I just don't know what I am looking for, I just don't know how to handle it. let him get them pierced or don't and make him wait...but until when?

ETA: Keep in mind in this situation both of my girls have their ears pierced. DD1 had hers done at 2 months old and YDD just recently got hers done at 9 months old. DS is the middle child and he is 3.

eguisgirl 04-30-2012 12:07 PM

Re: Would you let your 3yo SON....

No but then again, we have not allowed our 16 year old to pierce his ears either. I, personally do not care but my husband does so in order to have a united front I have not undermined his decision to not allow piercings or tattoos.

ArronDalesMama 04-30-2012 12:08 PM

Yup. I would.

Plain and simple. I don't view things as boys or girls stuffes

Eta - age doesn't make a differance to me.

Joyful Tie Dyes 04-30-2012 12:10 PM

I would not but b/c he is three not b/c he is a boy :)

Fashionably Green Baby 04-30-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama (Post 15026489)
Yup. I would.

Plain and simple. I don't view things as boys or girls stuffs.

See that is how I feel so I don't know why I am even torn. I let him go out wearing hair bows and headbands when he asks to. I honestly don't care. I also feel like ear piercings are something that he can choose to not wear earrings if he goes through a phase of not wanting them etc. Piercings aren't like tattoos ya know. I just need to find a place to pierce his ears that will have some less girly earring options.

Crow Mountain Crafts 04-30-2012 12:12 PM

I wouldnt, because he is only 3.
But I also would not allow one child to do something and then not allow the other based on sex.

Fashionably Green Baby 04-30-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes (Post 15026494)
I would not but b/c he is three not b/c he is a boy :)

Well his sisters have both had theirs done before they were 3 so that would be a double standard in this situation.

acwakip 04-30-2012 12:14 PM

No I wouldn't. I wouldn't let DD get her ears pierced at 3 either. In general, I wouldn't let a boy but definitely not at that age.

ArronDalesMama 04-30-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby

See that is how I feel so I don't know why I am even torn. I let him go out wearing hair bows and headbands when he asks to. I honestly don't care. I also feel like ear piercings are something that he can choose to not wear earrings if he goes through a phase of not wanting them etc. Piercings aren't like tattoos ya know. I just need to find a place to pierce his ears that will have some less girly earring options.

Take him to a tatto parlor. They should have less girly options. And that is how I feel about earrings too

Arabesque 04-30-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crow Mountain Crafts
I wouldnt, because he is only 3.
But I also would not allow one child to do something and then not allow the other based on sex.

This.