Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Enrichment activities for ADVANCED 11 month old??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387765)

LaniMommy187 04-30-2012 03:05 PM

Enrichment activities for ADVANCED 11 month old???

Ok first let me start by saying its DD's Pedi. who has labeled her as EXTREMELY cognitively advanced physically she's a little ahead but not abnormally so. DD is apparently doing things that aren't normal before 18 months - 2 years and in all honesty I have no idea what to do LOL! (I know she's smart for her age but umm that's at least a 6 month leap ahead and I'M not "there yet" LOL! So I guess I'm asking for ideas for activities that are appropriate for an 18 month old? Not totally sure and would DEARLY take any advice!!! I'm flummoxed !!!

EmilytheStrange 04-30-2012 03:08 PM

Sorting? Some 18 month olds like to sort things by shape, color, etc.

Coloring?

Most things I can think of require advanced fine motor skills - bead stringing, etc.

I would get her some sensory things. Bowls of dry beatg

EmilytheStrange 04-30-2012 03:09 PM

Toddler woke up on me...

Dry beans, water beads, etc. messing with them won't require a lot of fine motor skills.

LaniMommy187 04-30-2012 03:33 PM

Thank you :) that was one of the things she did that caused the pedi's comments. (it's amazing how intertwining snack cups and lids are LOL not to mention how little space they take up) (she was asking for her Burnie crackers when the Dr came in and since she had been stacking her different snacks I told her to hand me her Burnies and I would give her a few so she did (FYI I'm one of the only people who understands her babbles as yet but it's the same babble every time for the same thing)) her fine motor skills are at about 14+ months but while she can walk she prefers to crawl (she discovered she's faster at that LOL and for chasing the dog speed is key ;) LOL!)

threestraycats 04-30-2012 04:01 PM

Re: Enrichment activities for ADVANCED 11 month old???

montessori has great resources

eljube112 04-30-2012 04:06 PM

sorting is a great one. you can also get flash cards for learning letters, shapes and numbers (among other things). You can set out a few at a time and have her find what you ask her for.

I'd also start taking her out in nature as much as possible. Give her opportunity to experience nature and natural things. looking at real live animals and plants etc will be better learning than looking at them in books.

bobbyjk 04-30-2012 06:35 PM

I'm learnign that my DD is pretty advanced too. She is now 18 months old and knows all her letters, numbers, counts, knows colors, shapes (including pentagon, octagon and such) and is now on to learning the letter sounds. She has a vocabulary of probably at least 500 words, knows about 50 signs. She sings along to songs and is now putting 2 word sentences together. When she colors she obviously does not stay in the lines, but she colors over specific objects, not just the whole page. OK, this sounds like a Mommy brag :) but my point is that if your LO is advanced, these are all things you can work on in a fun way. We've NEVER forced any of it, but just casually teach her during the day through books, counting flowers outside, talking about the colors and smells of the flowers, pointing out numbers at the store or on addresses on houses, etc. She helps me "cook" and we explain each step to her and she dumps "1 cup" etc. I really don't believe in pushing that stuff on little ones, but my DD just seems to pick it up from real life education. We did a lot of chalk outside (letters, colors, shapes) and organized things like rocks based on color or size (big, small). I would do a lot of sensory things (warm, cold, bumpy, soft) With the warm weather coming up you can do sand and water tables. Bead frame maze things are great. At that age, we would hide toys under different cups or boxes and see if she could find them. I've done flashlight fun in a dark room (she loved that even early on, just get a lightweight flashlight). READ READ READ :) Hope that gives you some ideas.

My DD didn't walk until 13 months though :)

pcjs 04-30-2012 09:09 PM

How about gymnastics? My son loves loves loves the trampoline.

danielle 04-30-2012 10:21 PM

I would be singing, playing music, reading and stacking blocks. Definitely taking nature walks. Also, just enjoy it. She doesn't need anything super special, just avoid TV and engage with her.

Kama 05-02-2012 12:07 PM

Here are some ideas for great play spaces for babies up to 3 years old. The great thing is if you use open ended toys they will make them exactly as "advanced" as they need to be. http://www.janetlansbury.com/2010/12...engage-babies/

There are a lot of other great ideas on that site for play spaces.

The best toys are completely open ended and that is what they learn the most from, cups to stack, containers to put things in and take things out of, containers/blocks to stack, things with different textures and sounds. Many household objects make better learning toys than "learning toys".