Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Stroller or Wheelchair at Airport? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387823)

Suzi 04-30-2012 05:23 PM

Stroller or Wheelchair at Airport?

We are going on a trip this summer that will require a connecting flight in a large airport. Likely we will have a long walk from where we land to where our next flight takes off. We will also not have tons of time but there is only 1 flight a day so nothing I can do about that.

My 6 year old is autistic. He has some fine motor and gross motor issues but nothing diagnosed except autism. I'm concerned he won't be able to do the walk. Besides that the airport stresses him a little he is overall unable to walk quickly or long distances.

In my head I would love to have an airport wheelchair to use. Is it hard to qualify for one of these? He is 55 pounds. We are ending up on a boat for a week so I really don't want a stroller there but we could get an umbrella one and make it work.

I'm considering driving 7 hours instead to the airport we would make the connection at. Check in would be a much bigger pia but might be worth it to not have to stress about the connection. We'd have to stay in a hotel the night before we left and when we got back.

CamilikinsMama 04-30-2012 07:54 PM

Re: Stroller or Wheelchair at Airport?

I don't think it would be hard to "qualify" for a wheelchair. Just tell the airport you need one (and why?) and I'm sure it won't be a problem. That said, big airports usually have those golf cart type cars driving around. There must be some way to request a ride, then your whole family could ride together. Either way, I'd just speak with someone with whatever airline you will be flying. I'm sure they can help you out, and must deal with special needs on a semi regular basis :)

psylion 04-30-2012 08:56 PM

You don't have to qualify for a wheelchair you just have to ask. I had a gallbladder attack on a plane when I was pregnant with DD and were able to get me one at the last minute because I couldn't manage I was in so much pain.

pcjs 04-30-2012 09:07 PM

I'd probably drive over seven hours. You have to drive to the airport, be there at least an hour early, flight is a minimum of an hour, then however long to get off the plane and get to where you need to be... it may take about the same time with all the hassles of driving.

If you are going on a cruise, I'd bring a stroller so you can cruise the decks if you are bored or if he gets tired or you want to walk when the ship docks. Some of the ships are huge.

EmmaGM 04-30-2012 09:12 PM

All you have to do is ask. I just flew to Michigan and back, DH called Delta (tried the airport first and they said Delta has to arrange it) and told them I'd need a wheelchair and someone to wheel me from one concourse to the next. A special note was printed on the bottom of my boarding pass and a wheelchair was waiting for me when I deboarded. HTH!

Suzi 05-01-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcjs (Post 15029552)
I'd probably drive over seven hours. You have to drive to the airport, be there at least an hour early, flight is a minimum of an hour, then however long to get off the plane and get to where you need to be... it may take about the same time with all the hassles of driving.

If you are going on a cruise, I'd bring a stroller so you can cruise the decks if you are bored or if he gets tired or you want to walk when the ship docks. Some of the ships are huge.

The airport we would probably fly out of is tiny, only open twice a week. So you park right out front and get there 30min ahead. The connection airport is HUGE. So it could take 30min to park and they recommend you get there 2 hours ahead. I'm still def thinking about it but I also really love flying out of and into tiny airports. Maybe I should find a hotel with a pool....

We are going to be staying on someones personal boat, although a cruise sounds nice :goodvibes: To me their boat is as close to a yacht as I will ever be on but the assure me it does not nearly meat "yacht status." They would accommodate a stroller if we needed to though. it could always be tied down outside or something.

Glad to know wheelchairs are easy. I forgot about those golf cart type things you see. That would be IDEAL.

On the way back we will have a longer layover so at least I would only have to freak out once

eahcapemay 05-02-2012 12:18 AM

When ever I have flown alone with ds they have paged the golf cart for me. I feel a bit silly silly using it but in larger airports it's been a huge help. A baby, backpack, diaperbag and carseat is a huge hassle to transport around large airports. Just ask.

TyAndCheyMommy 05-02-2012 01:13 AM

Just call the airline and tell them what you need. I have flown alone with my daughter and son (daughter in wheelchair son autistic) plus two car seats. I had a connecting flight at huge airport. They met us at plane, allowed us off plane first, they had golf cart to take us. They even had a private room for us for the 2 hour wait. Then they helped me get everything on board second airplane.
Airlines want your business. They will work to accommodate you.
We were even upgraded to first class for no charge because there were only two tickets booked there and economy was almost full. It made it less stressful on children.