Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388045)

Rainfall 05-01-2012 09:11 AM

Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

*Update post 15

I'm nesting and getting so frustrated. My 4yo and 2yo share a room and then my teen son has his own room. Then our room of course. Well, baby is on the way and while s/he will sleep in our room for the first 6 months or so in the pack n play, I still need to store baby things in the kids' room. I have a giant laundry basket full right now of baby linens and burp rags and such to put away and nowhere to put it. :banghead:

I have one large dresser that DD and DS2 share. That is packed full and I still have 2 boxes of clothes to go through of DS2's to either donate or fit into the dresser or closet. The closet is split down the middle - one side DD, other side DS2. I have floor space under the rods, but nothing very tall would fit. I just dug out a 3 drawer plastic rolly cart/dresser thing and stuck it on one side and stuffed that full of the larger sized cloth diapers for now.

eta: We have a separate playroom where we keep all of their toys and books in. So this is just for beds and dressers and clothes/diapers/linens.

I guess I'm just looking for storage advice/solutions to having 2 kids and a baby in one room. Pics would be great, too! :)

Next year sometime, we'll have an extra bedroom in the basement finished and DS1 will move down there. Then I can split the two upstairs kid rooms between the 3 LOs. But for now, I have to make this work and it's driving me crazy. I know I need a small dresser of some sort for the baby, and I think that's what bugging me the most. I can't really do anything yet until I get that. Gr.

Docs Wife 05-01-2012 09:21 AM

Re: Does anyone have 2 kids + a baby in one bedroom??

We have a 3 bedroom apt. My three LO (4yr, 3yr, 15 mo) all share a sleeping room. It is the smallest of the three rooms. This room is used for sleeping and a dresser and clothes in the closet only. The other non-master bedroom, the bigger of the two, is used as a play room all their toys, games, ect are kept in here and this is where they spend most of their time.

Fashionably Green Baby 05-01-2012 09:21 AM

I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and my 10 month old in 1 room. The baby slept in our room until 8 months. I will dig up some pictures and come back with them here in a bit. I have to get lunch going.

Rainfall 05-01-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Docs Wife (Post 15031216)
We have a 3 bedroom apt. My three LO (4yr, 3yr, 15 mo) all share a sleeping room. It is the smallest of the three rooms. This room is used for sleeping and a dresser and clothes in the closet only. The other non-master bedroom, the bigger of the two, is used as a play room all their toys, games, ect are kept in here and this is where they spend most of their time.

Oh I forgot to mention that we have a separate room for their toys. The bedroom is just for sleeping and dressers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby (Post 15031220)
I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and my 10 month old in 1 room. The baby slept in our room until 8 months. I will dig up some pictures and come back with them here in a bit. I have to get lunch going.

Thank you, that would be great!!

doodah 05-01-2012 09:48 AM

Can you go thru and destash the bigger kids stuff? My two girls share a room and they have three drawers each (none are full) and about 10 to 15 hang up items each. Thats it. I could easily fit all three kids in one room. The baby is still in our room but all her stuff, including diapers fit into some bins in her changing table. I think maybe now is the time to start minimizing....

Another thing to consider is wall storage, hanging shelves or cubbies up high and that sort of thing. What about under the beds?

Rainfall 05-01-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah (Post 15031359)
Can you go thru and destash the bigger kids stuff? My two girls share a room and they have three drawers each (none are full) and about 10 to 15 hang up items each. Thats it. I could easily fit all three kids in one room. The baby is still in our room but all her stuff, including diapers fit into some bins in her changing table. I think maybe now is the time to start minimizing....

Another thing to consider is wall storage, hanging shelves or cubbies up high and that sort of thing. What about under the beds?

I do have to go through their drawers and hanging things and move the winter and small stuff to storage. I could probably wing the hanging things, but the dresser they have now to share isn't very big to begin with (they each have 3 drawers). I have some serious weeding down to do with DS2's things, but that's still going to leave me with no drawer space for baby.

I am trying to buy a captain's twin bed on CL for $30 now as we speak. If I got that, I'll be able to move the linens and blankets to those drawers and free up the middle of the dresser (it's a cabinet with shelves) for baby linens and burp rags. Or, I could move DD's clothes to the captain bed drawers and baby could have her side of the dresser for clothes/linens possibly.

The only problem with the captains bed is the amount of space it might take up. I'd have DS2 still in his toddler bed, but we're going to need to fit a crib in there at some point, too. Hmm...though I probably wouldn't need an extra dresser if we got the bed.

Then there's the lotions/snappis/breast pads/etc. I have this little organizer that goes on top of the dresser I keep it all in. Well, the kids won't leave the stuff alone anymore and now I have to find a spot high enough up or in my own bedroom where they're not constantly messing with it.

It'll all work out. I'm just in uber nesting mode right now and you know how that goes. It all has to get done RIGHT NOW or it's panic. LOL

chandni3 05-01-2012 10:36 AM

You'll love this:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=120305388013452
It probably costs a fortune though :(

badmisterkitty 05-01-2012 11:02 AM

We are planning to do 3 in a room together after this new baby comes. We technically have enough bedrooms to not have to, but I can't deal with being in the basement with all my little babies upstairs without me. So, until they are older they will all bunk together.

We moved the kids to our room, which is (marginally) bigger, but it allows for more layouts than theirs. We are debating between a full size bed for the girls to share and then the crib for the baby, or a twin, toddler and crib. We need another dresser, too.

There are almost no toys in their bedroom. Just the play kitchen and one of those 9-hole shelves that hold cloth bins holds their books and a few bins of toys played with less often. The changing table is a pad on top of a dresser, which I actually love because they don't outgrow it by height!

Each kid gets 3 drawers in the dresser. I've divided it a cuople of different ways, depending on how MUCH of each clothing item they have. If it doesn't all fit, we have to weed out a few things. We use that wire-grid shelving in the closet to hold sheets, blankets, outgrown clothes and a bunch of misc stuff. A few things are hung, mostly less often worn stuff like swimsuits and a couple dresses, sweatshirts, things like that.

Our laundry is "central" meaning we have one place for all dirty clothes and not multiple baskets in every room. I'm also in the process of moving the stuffed animals "up" into one of those pet net things.

Rainfall 05-01-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmisterkitty (Post 15031734)
We are planning to do 3 in a room together after this new baby comes. We technically have enough bedrooms to not have to, but I can't deal with being in the basement with all my little babies upstairs without me. So, until they are older they will all bunk together.

We moved the kids to our room, which is (marginally) bigger, but it allows for more layouts than theirs. We are debating between a full size bed for the girls to share and then the crib for the baby, or a twin, toddler and crib. We need another dresser, too.

There are almost no toys in their bedroom. Just the play kitchen and one of those 9-hole shelves that hold cloth bins holds their books and a few bins of toys played with less often. The changing table is a pad on top of a dresser, which I actually love because they don't outgrow it by height!

Each kid gets 3 drawers in the dresser. I've divided it a cuople of different ways, depending on how MUCH of each clothing item they have. If it doesn't all fit, we have to weed out a few things. We use that wire-grid shelving in the closet to hold sheets, blankets, outgrown clothes and a bunch of misc stuff. A few things are hung, mostly less often worn stuff like swimsuits and a couple dresses, sweatshirts, things like that.

Our laundry is "central" meaning we have one place for all dirty clothes and not multiple baskets in every room. I'm also in the process of moving the stuffed animals "up" into one of those pet net things.

I've thought about getting twin bunk beds for the 4&2 yo's but we're going to split them up next year when DS1 moves downstairs and my 2yo son has no fear. I don't want him climbing up on them and jumping off. I just got a text back from the CL person and I'll be hopefully picking up the bed tonight. I know it'll take up a lot more space than her current toddler bed, but I'm hoping that with the under bed storage it will free up enough drawers that
we can do without another dresser.

I also just put a changing pad on top of their dresser. Works great and I don't have to worry about finding room for a changing table, lol.

I think another part of my problem is that I've had to use the top of their closet as storage for things. If I could figure something else out for that stuff, I could put their blankets and linens and not-often-used items up there and free up even more dresser space.

badmisterkitty 05-01-2012 03:49 PM

We also have a captain's bed for our oldest right now. The storage is great, but because the room is small the bed has to be up against the wall and only one side of the drawers is accessible.