Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who has done an IVF? Would *love* your help! (consultation tomorrow) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388117)

jacquelinemarie82 05-01-2012 11:24 AM

Who has done an IVF? Would *love* your help! (consultation tomorrow)

Looking for suggestions on what to bring up. ICSI was suggested for us but want to ask about the mini IVF and financing.

Any other thoughts? Also, do you know how much the medication for this cost out of pocket?

I would love to hear about your experience!!! The good and the bad. Link me to your blog/thread about this if you have one.

Hope4More 05-01-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelinemarie82
Looking for suggestions on what to bring up. ICSI was suggested for us but want to ask about the mini IVF and financing.

Any other thoughts? Also, do you know how much the medication for this cost out of pocket?

I would love to hear about your experience!!! The good and the bad. Link me to your blog/thread about this if you have one.

Don't have an answer but I wanted to send hugs and baby dust your way- I know exactly how you feel right now :hugs:

Wanderlust 05-01-2012 04:23 PM

Re: Who has done an IVF? Would *love* your help! (consultation tomorrow)

No advice, but good luck- I hope you have a good appointment.

I guess one thing to ask is if you do mini IVF and the the sperm sample isn't great or sperm isn't able to fertilize, do they do rescue ICSI. How much more expensive is rescue over regular ICSI. What are their success rates compared to rescue and regular ICSI. Our clinic ICSI's everyone and I really think that's why they do lots of 5 day blast transfers over 3 day transfers...just something to think about :)

helenoftroy 05-01-2012 04:39 PM

I would check to see if there is any way you can get insurance coverage for it. Is there an alternate plan you could join? supplemental insurance? Can you join a shared risk program instead of mini-ivf? etc.
We did full ivf with icsi and assisted zonal hatching. It was mostly covered by insurance (the icsi was $2k extra, but necessary for us) Our first round resulted in DD, and then we changed insurance and no longer have infertility coverage. we just did a FET with our leftover embryos and it will cost us around 8k (including meds and pre-testing) in out of pocket expense. I am about 6.5 weeks now (!!!) I think in a regular cycle the meds can cost around $3k or more depending on how much stims you require.. Keep in mind that pre-testing can cost quite a bit too. Just my blood-work and saline sonogram were about $2k out of pocket.
Best of luck to you!

gabmaxi 05-01-2012 05:29 PM

I think meds out of pocket were $2500, using international online pharmacies. I think there might be generic stims now, but not sure on that. For sure cash prices are cheaper than insurance prices.
For icsi, I think if you have male factor it's a good idea. If you are both unexplained, maybe see how many eggs you get. 2-5 I would do icsi, more than that I would take a chance without. I looked at mini ivf but decided that my best odds were with the regular ivf.
We did one round. I got 15 eggs, but only 5 were mature. We did icsi and assisted hatching, resulted in my ods.
Are you on any ivf boards? I remember there were some where women who were done with a cycle had extra meds to give away. I know it's a grey area.

happysmileylady 05-01-2012 05:38 PM

I see you are in the midwest...Indiana perhaps? If so, I HIGHLY recommend Family Beginnings. Extremely affordable, and very helpful in getting affordable meds too.

http://www.ivf-indiana.com/

RedheadMom09 05-04-2012 03:17 PM

We did IVF in 2008. I would ask specifically 'why' they recommend ICSI for you. We did it because we were using frozen sperm (DH froze before deployment.) Are they recommending it because of your specific circumstances or is it just their blanket protocol?

Also ask what they use for progesterone support post-embryo transfer. Some clinics are still using the PIO. When I did IVF, Endometrin had just come out and I was able to convince them to let me use it. It's a vaginal suppository instead of the PIO injection. The clinical studies done prior to FDA approval showed a lower miscarriage rate using Endometrin than PIO (also, no giant shots!)

I can't remember what my meds cost. DH is military and we did IVF through one of the teaching programs at a MTF, so the MTF provided the bulk of our meds at no charge (the Follistim, Menopur, & Lupron.) I had to order the Endometrin from overseas and it was not covered by either my insurance through my employer or Tricare.