Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   flying with a 3mo old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388321)

Palooka 05-01-2012 07:41 PM

flying with a 3mo old?

Okay, I'm going to sound dumb, but can I just carry my baby on the plane and hold him the whole time? I've heard of people bringing carseats?

OMG and a carseat! I'll need a carseat for the rental car, right? No one is picking us up from the airport so I have to rent a car. Is that why people go through the airport with carseats? Can I rent a carseat? Would I want to? Is that safe?

It would be just me and the baby so I also have to think about carrying all this stuff myself. :headscratch:

eek.

S4r4h 05-01-2012 07:49 PM

I checked the car seat packed up in the box it came in and carried Charlie, or wore her in a sling. :)

danielle 05-01-2012 08:01 PM

Doubtful you'll find a rental company with a seat for a newborn. Gate check your stroller/seat and you'll have it. And yes, you can hold your little one in your lap. You may need to advise the airline. Make sure to nurse for takeoffs and landings.

Mac & Cheeses mom 05-01-2012 08:14 PM

You can hold her. As for the carseat, I checked mine with out a box. The tag it and it arrives at your destination. I would wear her through the airport and layovers.

pcjs 05-01-2012 08:38 PM

Re: flying with a 3mo old?

Take your car seat. The ones they rent may not be good or safe. And, yuck as they probably never clean them.

Bring your seat and gate check it. Ask for an extra seat if they have them available. You can hold baby but its nice to have that seat just in case. We did a lap baby at 11 months and honestly it scared me and I would never do it again. He slept most of the way but still. On the way home they gave us a free seat and it was far more secure. I'd bring a snap and go for an infant seat. We brought our corroco and strapped it into our jogger - it fit great. Buy a bag for the car seat. You can get one made for car seats or get a large duffle bag.

Rent one of the luggage carts at the luggage area. They work very well.

Palooka 05-01-2012 09:02 PM

I'm suddenly regretting insisting we buy a convertible carseat instead of the bucket. :/

CurlyQ215 05-01-2012 09:48 PM

If I were in your shoes, I would check the car seat (well padded) and simply carry your baby. The first time we flew, we just used a carrier, but I had my husband to lug our carry ons. The 2nd time, I was alone, and I was glad for the stroller (that I gate checked) so I could wear my baby and put my heavy old backpack in the stroller. Bonus - you CAN wear your baby through security in a carrier - so, so much easier. They just have to do a quick swab of your hands afterward to make sure you don't have explosive residue on them.

Also, bring shot records or a birth certificate copy so you can verify her age. Some airlines are picky about this even if the baby isn't even remotely close to 2 years of age!

Jessi621 05-01-2012 09:56 PM

It's really not a good idea to check a carseat. They get thrown around and mishandled a lot. I've seen more than one get back to the parents broken. Gate checking is better, but still not the best. You can ask them if they have any extra seats, then you might be able to bring the seat on the plane with you.
Since you don't have a bucket, this is what I'd do. Wear the baby and push the carseat around on the stroller, might have to bungee it down or something. Or, get a bag for the carseat, then you can carry it and push the baby in the stroller. Though I'm sure the carseat is heavier and much more bulky, so option #1 would be way more comfortable.

EmilytheStrange 05-01-2012 10:00 PM

Are you going to a large city? Some have services where they get you everything you need: strollers, carseats, diapers, etc.

We checked our carseat and held her. Did that at 9months and at 17months. Well, technically didn't check the seat the second time, didn't need it.

kismetbaby 05-01-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcjs (Post 15034476)
Take your car seat. The ones they rent may not be good or safe. And, yuck as they probably never clean them.

Bring your seat and gate check it. Ask for an extra seat if they have them available. You can hold baby but its nice to have that seat just in case. We did a lap baby at 11 months and honestly it scared me and I would never do it again. He slept most of the way but still. On the way home they gave us a free seat and it was far more secure. I'd bring a snap and go for an infant seat. We brought our corroco and strapped it into our jogger - it fit great. Buy a bag for the car seat. You can get one made for car seats or get a large duffle bag.

Rent one of the luggage carts at the luggage area. They work very well.

yes to all this!

and if you know you'll likely be travelling a few more times before she is 2y and requires her own seat on the plane, then I recommend the Combi Coccoro. We bought it just for travel, it's very light weight so easy to carry and if it gets damaged it isn't your "real" carseat. it's not terribly expensive either.