Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Let's Talk Sunscreen... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388509)

KaylaJayne 05-02-2012 08:55 AM

Let's Talk Sunscreen...

Alright everyone - let's chat sunscreen because it's getting to be "that" time of year around here. My boys go to daycare so I will have to provide sunscreen for them to put on when they go outside...

What do you use on your LOs?

Do you use sunscreen on babies younger than 6 months?

What do you use on the newbies?

__________________________________________________ _______________

DS1 has seemed to break out whenever I use anything other than Aveeno on him so Aveeno sunscreen it is for him (he's 4.5) - I use the spray for daycare because it's faster (I work there so I know it takes FOREVER to sunscreen up 20 kiddos!) but DS2 is only 5 weeks old... and I am at a loss... DS1 was 6+ months by the time summer hit so we just used baby sunscreen.

kelpie169 05-02-2012 09:08 AM

We use California baby. It works really well. My son is VERY fair and very susceptible to the sun. We put it on him before school and it lasts through the day an outside playtime.

zandj 05-02-2012 09:29 AM

Re: Let's Talk Sunscreen...

did use CA Baby but I heard they recently changed their formulation? We also use Badger and love that. May try something else that rates a 0 (for dangerous chemicals) on the skindeep database this year

ETA: I wouldn't have issues using one of the sunscreens we deem safe on a LO younger than 6m

luvsviola 05-02-2012 09:52 AM

For babies and faces, we use California Baby. But it is too expensive to use on the body, plus a total PITA. There are 5 of us. We'd use up a $15 tube every week. So, we use the clear spray on bodies--whatever is cheapest at Target.

EmsMom 05-02-2012 01:25 PM

I had Green Beaver last year and liked it. It's non-whitening but a bit greasy. It blends relatively well though. It is a bit pricey, I haven't found an organic sunscreen though that isn't.

mommabritt 05-02-2012 02:04 PM

I need a new sunscreen. I like a lotion, not too thick but not oily. I'd like to use one for all of us (ages 9 months to 29) but dot want to pay an outrageous amount.

Any recs?

Nerissa 05-02-2012 06:07 PM

I use Bull Frog quick gell. I have no idea how it rates on "safeness" . The boys are red head and very fair skin and burn very very quickly. So do I and DH. It is the only sunscreen I have used for years. The only one that works 100% of the time. We go through about 3 bottles every summer. I have tried a few others on me and I had to reapply often or I was burnt. I am not willing to risk the boys getting sunburns.

Brooke789 05-02-2012 06:19 PM

We used Kiss My FAce last year. We didn't finish up the two bottles we bought and it doesn't expire until the fall, so we'll use it again. We bought the pump spray bottle (not aerosol). I know they aren't recommended as the best because they spray the chemicals into the air, but I spray it onto my hand and then put it on everyone. So, I think that lessens that. We were totally happy w/it last year.