Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I NEED SLEEP!!!! How to get my 2 year old to sleep at night w/o CIO (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388558)

LittleABC 05-02-2012 11:50 AM

I NEED SLEEP!!!! How to get my 2 year old to sleep at night w/o CIO

Please help!! DH and I need sleep in the worst way. DS wakes up anywhere from 2-6 or more times a night. He just turned 2yrs. He wakes up screaming and crying for either paccy, blanket, drink, for me almost anything. We hate CIO and only want to us it as a last resort. We didn't have to do it with our DD's. But we need sleep. He also can go into a tantrum if he wakes up enough and itsn't getting the response he wants. And then the tantrum goes on forever and takes so much time to calm him down. He is so stubborn during the day. And it is worse at night when he is tired.

Any advice would be welcome. I can barely function cause I am so tired. :tired:

babylove921 05-02-2012 11:52 AM

Um..get a pacifier strap? Give him a sippy cup of water in his bed? Already give him a blanket...

LittleABC 05-02-2012 12:10 PM

Re: I NEED SLEEP!!!! How to get my 2 year old to sleep at night w/o CIO

Quote:

Originally Posted by babylove921 (Post 15037223)
Um..get a pacifier strap? Give him a sippy cup of water in his bed? Already give him a blanket...

haha. funny. He does have them in his bed. But he is lazy(unlike my girls) and wont reach for them. Just lays there and screams for them till I get up and find them and give them to him.

Pacifier strap?

escapethevillage 05-02-2012 12:36 PM

I know it seems like he doesn't need sleep, otherwise he'd just sleep. But, he needs to sleep even more than you do.

Quote:

Still, sleep is very important to kids' well-being. The link between a lack of sleep and a child's behavior isn't always obvious. When adults are tired, they can be grumpy or have low energy, but kids can become hyper, disagreeable, and have extremes in behavio
At this age, he needs 10-12 hours of sleep.

At some point, I think cry it out would be better than allowing him to go through his entire preschool years on less sleep than his body needs.

CCRMSS 05-02-2012 12:49 PM

no advice, just wanted to let you know we're in the same boat. DS will be two this month, and still wakes up 1-3 times at night, crying. He doesnt' have a paci (sucks his fingers), so i'm not really sure what the issue is. If we rock him for a couple of min, he will usually go back to sleep. Other times he is wide awake and wants to play. We are so so so over it, and have been leaning more and more towards the CIO.

Mac & Cheeses mom 05-02-2012 12:49 PM

I feel you pain. My 16m is the same way. It comes and goes, sometimes its because she is wet, and sometimes its because she wants milk (well most the time, and real milk I didn't bf). It has gotten so bad I have been given a fat split lip from her tantrum. Last night once she calmed down I got her applesauce (the squeeze kind) instead of milk. She then went and brushed her teeth again, and back to bed (with us at this point). She then slept through the night until about 5:45. She then takes a 90min nap at 8. I am hoping for a repeat preformance tonight.

I would try a snack at the first waking. DD eats a lot, so I know its not because she didn't eat dinner. I think it is linked to a growth spurt or a mental spurt. HTH.

whiteyacht 05-02-2012 12:54 PM

Sounds like my 22mo. He's been this way since 5mo. 0_0 It's getting better but not fast enough, especially bc I am 22 wks pg.

---
Sent from my phone using DS Forum. Please excuse typos.

keen1981 05-02-2012 12:56 PM

If it were me. I wouldn't do it anymore. This isn't about needs anymore. I think it's habitual waking, an inability to self sooth (at all) and control. My methods involve crying. But not necessarily CIO. I would NOT be getting up 6x with a two year old.

JasmineMama 05-02-2012 01:52 PM

I'm guessing you've ruled out all physical causes? My DS1 was a really poor sleeper until I discovered that he was too hungry when he went to bed and couldn't sleep all night because his little tummy was rumbling. I had to do guesswork to get there. He is not a good eater, but I've discovered if I give him a snack before bedtime, he sleeps well...if he goes to bed with nothing since dinner (which likely he only picked at) he will wake up and repeatedly ask for water/milk.

Maybe try experimenting with temperature, feeding, clothing at bedtime, etc if you haven't yet.

And millions of :hugs: DS1 was a bad sleeper for so long, it's a misery.

LittleABC 05-02-2012 02:01 PM

I wondered about that. The hunger thing. But more along the lines of being thirsty. He is so busy during the day, I am wondering if he isn't drinking enough. Then at night he is really thirsty.