Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   s/o College and employment (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388745)

z2akids 05-02-2012 06:49 PM

s/o College and employment

I was reading the thread about not wanting (or at least not caring) if their kids go to college.

I am wondering if those who feel that way are college grads themselves. I am also curious whether those who feel that way are self-supporting (or their DH is if they SAH). I define self-supporting as -

living as a family unit (apartment or house, just not living off of other family/friends)

not receiving assistance from the government - no WIC, SNAP, EIC, health (unless that is for say a disability - not financially based), etc.

Honestly, I was surprised at the number of people who think higher education in this day and age is not necessary, so I was wondering if that is reflected here.

Poll coming.

Brooke789 05-02-2012 06:55 PM

Re: s/o College and employment

Graduated college in 2003. DH finished BA in 2003 and MA in 2006. We've been living together and self supported since before we graduated.

ETA: I do hope my kids will go to college...and if they go to our alma mater even better!!

MarieSeeking 05-02-2012 06:57 PM

I have a graduate degree and am employed along with DH (has a bachelors...but got it later in life).

I don't think college is for everyone. I don't like how college is the new high school. And I don't like how A's in school now mean Average.

I think there is real value to the military and trade school for some people. College is shoved down the throats of many kids who end up thinking they HAVE to go there to be successful. Then it's not what they want and end up doing something different.

My kids are too young to know if I want college for them. I hope to raise them in a way that they will be able to choose for themselves.

Hope4More 05-02-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieSeeking
I don't think college is for everyone. I don't like how college is the new high school. And I don't like how A's in school now mean Average.

I think there is real value to the military and trade school for some people. College is shoved down the throats of many kids who end up thinking they HAVE to go there to be successful. Then it's not what they want and end up doing something different.

I also don't think college is for everyone. I think there's a difference between college and a four year university, too - not everyone can handle moving out at 18.

I expect my child will attend a trade school or a two-year college. Military or a four year degree is an option if he chooses.

DH has a 4-year bachelor of science in business.
I have two 4-year bachelor degrees: 1 in social science and 1 in education. I have a masters degree in educational technology. We have self-supported since we married (and began living together) in 2005.

slimy72 05-02-2012 07:10 PM

Another vote for college is not for everyone. Dh and I both have master's degrees and it drives us nuts how the schools try to push that without a four year degree you can't earn a decent living. It just isn't true. I know tons of folks who are hard workers and very determined with a lot less education than I have that out earn me. Of course dh and I are both teachers so that may have something to do with that.

Oh, and for the record, we married 3 years before either of us finished our bachelor's degrees and were self supporting living on our own even then. We received no assistance, lived in a tiny,crummy little house and got ourselves through school. Then we both started teaching and went back to school one at a time for our Master's.

my2sweets 05-02-2012 07:30 PM

We both have bachelors. Im a sahm and dh has supported us on his associates degree our entire marriage. We both dont really care if the girls go to college. As long as they get some type of further education we.dont really care what it is.

Arabesque 05-02-2012 07:44 PM

We both have BAs and support our family very well in a HCOL area. I hope my children go to university simply for the value of a higher learning experience. High school was useless for me, and even though I don't have a job in the field of my degree, the education I received was priceless. I also met DH in university ;)

5PrincessMommy 05-02-2012 07:50 PM

So, I work as a teacher at a public school, pay my own bills, but still get EIC when I do my taxes. You're telling me I don't support myself and my family?

luvsviola 05-02-2012 07:54 PM

DH has a Bachelors in Computer Science, and I have a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction. We are self sufficient, and have lived on our own since graduating from undergrad. :)

JennTheMomma 05-02-2012 07:54 PM

I have a college degree as well as multiple certifications. I'm a WAHM with my own business.

DH has a college degree, more than one actaully, and is a Pilot. (his degrees are all in Aviation)

We are self sufficiant.