Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Gymnastic/martial arts parents (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388812)

Wendylady 05-02-2012 09:32 PM

Gymnastic/martial arts parents

I have a question about these sports, never having had a kid in them. Do you pay a membership fee to a national organization in addition to your membership fees/monthly fees for the actual classes? If you do, do you still have to if you only do it recreationally, not competitively?

The reason I ask is because my oldest son takes fencing lessons. Now he's special needs, it's unlikely he'll ever compete. He takes the lessons because he enjoys learning the sport and it's one of the few ones he can do with his physical issues. This year his fencing center is being required to have every person who is a member to also join the national organization of fencing for an additional $60 a year. I wouldn't have an issue if he were competing, since that's who the tournaments are run through but I don't think it's fair to require non competitive members to pay a fee for something they won't be participating in. One of the coaches said that it's done that way through every other competitive type of sport, like gymnastics, swimming, etc. I've never heard of that before but figured I'd bring it up here and find out. :)

Green Decals 05-02-2012 09:54 PM

Re: Gymnastic/martial arts parents

Nope, DS and DH both do martial arts and have for years, and don't participate in any national organization. If your local place requires it as part of their membership, then it should be built into their cost. For instance, they could raise their fees/memberships by $5 per month and have that portion pay for the national organization membership fee. BUT, if it is not part of their membership, then I don't see how they can make it mandatory (check your contract if you have one). Some places will discount memberships if you are part of a national organization, effectively making a membership the same rate, but unless you have a contract with them requiring an additional membership to another organization, you should be able to opt out... Especially given your LO's non-competitive status.

sojomisa 05-02-2012 09:55 PM

Karate - no national memberships. Just monthly fees for classes.

Gymnastics - For recreational classes there wasn't a national membership. Once she made the competitive team we pay $100 per year for her USAG membership. She needs this to compete.

HTH!

Jen's_4 05-02-2012 09:59 PM

We have two girls in gymnastics and don't pay any national fees but the place they go is a small local place so that might make a difference.

iris0110 05-02-2012 10:12 PM

Our entire family does Taekwondo and there are no national organization fees. I don't know how it works out if we want to do tournaments as our school is not particularly active in that area. We do have testing fees and a small portion of that is an "organization fee" but that just goes back into running the school but you only test if you want to.

MomToMyMonkeys 05-02-2012 10:15 PM

My family owns a gymnastics business, so I can tell you for sure the answer is no. Recreational gymnasts do not have to pay any national fees. If they go on to competitive team, then they pay an annual USAG membership in order to compete in the meets.

And whoever said it is $100 a year....your gym is screwing you. The fee is $49 a year, and less if they fill it out online :thumbsup:

3boys_mom 05-02-2012 10:17 PM

My older two boys take karate, have for four years now. The monthly fees are actually cheaper where they go than ANY other place near enough to us. They do not have belt testing fees, new belt fees, etc. Other places we have investigated have these ON TOP OF crazy high monthly fees. The one drawback at this particular place....they are non competitive. There are no tournaments of any kind. I like this, but at the same time it kind of bums me out as well. But the boys don't seem to mind. It is what it is.

I agree with PP, check your contract. If there is no mention of the extra fee, fight it!

CarrieMF 05-02-2012 10:21 PM

My oldest is in Judi and Yes there is a fee to the National AND Provincial organizations even if you do not compete. However it is built into the annual cost. There are probably many parents who have no clue some of our registration is for that

AHIAMOM 05-02-2012 10:21 PM

Through the years we have taken martial arts at least two places and gymnastics at least three and we have never had to pay anything other than monthy tuition.

Wendylady 05-02-2012 10:25 PM

Oh it's no contract, we pay monthly. And it's not the local organization that's changing this, it's the national apparently. According to the coaches in order to continue to be able to compete at all every member of theirs beyond the first month introductory classes will be required to join the national organization, whether or not that member actually takes part in any competitions. Just seems like the national organization is trying to boost their profits. This would be a fee we would have to pay to the national organization directly, and then show our membership card to the local club to be able to continue to take classes.