Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   An anti-bed sharer needs advice on bed sharing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388931)

ulawolf 05-03-2012 07:44 AM

An anti-bed sharer needs advice on bed sharing

I have had four babies in which none had a desire to bed share at all even as nbs. I never get sleep with a baby in the bed either. Well dd4 (lo5) was born sunday and from the minute she was born if laid in the bassinet she screams and cries. She only seems to sleep if being held or next to me.

Last night our first night home i tried over and over to lay her in the bassinet next to our bed after she fell asleep but she would wake up and cry right off. Finally after a couple hours i gave up and laid her between dh and i . I made sure it was flat and no blankets on her and she slept four hours straight.

I on the other hand slept horrible. I kept waking up worried dh rolled on her or that she stopped breathing.

So anyone have any suggestions? This baby just seems to need more physical contact than any of my others. Doc said she was having issues thriving in utero which is why she only weighed 5lbs.at 40weeks with.some other small complications.

Thanks

CntryMama 05-03-2012 07:50 AM

Re: An anti-bed sharer needs advice on bed sharing

Oh, she loves you and wants to be right next to you :) Don't worry, she wont be sleeping in your bed when she goes to college ;) Do you have a carrier or wrap? You could try wearing her close to you during the day for the first month/two until she gets a little more comfortable with her surrounding, then once she is bigger you could try the crib again.

I know this is a touch subject I firmly believe that breastfeeding and cospleeing is great for the baby and holds little to no risks when done correctly. Are you nursing her? If not I would recommend not cosleeping but you can still do lots of babywearing :)

happysmileylady 05-03-2012 07:55 AM

Can you get a crib or cradle or co sleeper that sits right next to the bed.

I am anti bed sharing for newborns specifically because of the safety issues. I have a cradle that just happens to sit exactly level with our bed. Baby sleeps in the cradle right next to my side of the bed. But, baby is literally right next to me, and I can even reach my hand in between the slats to touch her...and have even slept like that.

Some other suggestions-maybe try some different sleep positions. Maybe try elevating one end or the other. And, while it scared the crap out of me, the only way any of my babies slept well is on their tummies. I don't recommend it, but perhaps some rolled blankets to keep her on her side.

I do have to say though, that regardless of that, I always wake up multiple times a night those first few weeks post partum.

happysmileylady 05-03-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CntryMama (Post 15041457)
Oh, she loves you and wants to be right next to you :) Don't worry, she wont be sleeping in your bed when she goes to college ;) Do you have a carrier or wrap? You could try wearing her close to you during the day for the first month/two until she gets a little more comfortable with her surrounding, then once she is bigger you could try the crib again.

I know this is a touch subject I firmly believe that breastfeeding and cospleeing is great for the baby and holds little to no risks when done correctly. Are you nursing her? If not I would recommend not cosleeping but you can still do lots of babywearing :)

I do second the rec of lots of babywearing during the day.

kelpie169 05-03-2012 07:58 AM

We cosleep now but when my son was born I spent lots of nights sleeping in our recliner. Piled pillows behind him and he'd nurse all night. Still will if I let him.

hailey1312 05-03-2012 08:00 AM

when we started bedsharing with our baby, I really wanted to get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Delight-S...6053331&sr=8-5

you can put it in the middle of the bed and it keeps them safe so you don't roll on them. My dd was 5 months old when we started bedsharing and I was worried about rolling on her too. I slept so lightly when she was in bed. But I started sleeping better over time too because I could wake and nurse her and go right back to sleep instead of getting up and going across the room. You WILL adjust and get better sleep afterwhile even if you aren't sleeping well now. As long as you do it safely co-sleeping is just fine. I usually cover myself up just to my waist and wear a long sleeve shirt so I don't get cold. A tighter fitting long sleeve shirt, no loose clothes.

mommyfrog 05-03-2012 08:19 AM

Try putting a shirt you've worn in the bassinet with her. I've put it under the baby or over as a thin blanket. It doesn't really matter, as long as she can smell her mommy.

ofthemoonsglow 05-03-2012 08:27 AM

I've slept with my daughter in our bed since the day she was born. Here are links to Dr. Sears safe cosleeping rules which we mostly follow.
How to safely cosleep ---> http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sle...leeping-habits

And this is Dr. Sears story of how him and his wife started cosleeping with their 4th child which sounds a lot like what happened to you ---> http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sle...s-no-sometimes

ulawolf 05-03-2012 10:07 AM

I do nurse so that's not an issue. Our bassinet is a cosleeper but doesnt come even with the bed. She seems to need the contact. I tried sleeping with her om my chest and me sitting up with pillows but i kept dreaming i was dropping her and jerking us both awake. I like the idea of the bed thing that goes on the bed. Maybe we will try that.

I can't wear her yet because of my surgery but will do that once i heal. My two year old is not thrilled with dd4 on mommy so i cant hold her all the time.

Thanks for all the advice.

MotherOfBroccoli 05-03-2012 10:10 AM

Do you swaddle her? I had to wrap my DD nice and tight and lay her on top of one of my shirts in her crib.