Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Feeding schedule for a 6 1/2 month old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389001)

nicolejshannon 05-03-2012 10:22 AM

Feeding schedule for a 6 1/2 month old

I was wondering what a typical food day for your little ones around the same age? I have recently gone back to work and also begun solids and I just don't know if I am giving her enough.

Our day looks like this:

AM nursing session before work
DD gets 3 pumped bottles of 5 oz each while at daycare
She also gets one container of pureed baby food. She eats it all
After daycare, she nurses at around 6 pm
She then has another container of baby food and sometimes rice cereal. She usually does not finish the container
Another little nursing session while she falls asleep. She doesn't seem to eat much during this one
I wake up 1-2 times a night to nurse.

She is pretty little for her age (no more than 15 pounds). Dr. says she isn't concerned because she's been a slow gainer since the beginning.
I have dealt with low supply and take domperidone and Mother's Milk Special Blend.
When I pump, I get about 4-5 oz during 1st one, about 3-3.5 during second and 2-3 during 3rd session.

Should I be giving her more solids during the day or at night? Should she be snacking on puffs, etc?

I'm curious what other mamas feed their lo during the day.

Thanks!

mamamu 05-03-2012 10:29 AM

Re: Feeding schedule for a 6 1/2 month old

My daughter is 6 months and nurses 8 to 10 times a day, on demand. She eats very little else, maybe a bite or two of yogurt or egg. She's just not really interested in food yet.

tmunky 05-03-2012 02:51 PM

Mine is just 5 months old and eats a little more I think. Here's her typical schedule:

AM nursing session before work (sometimes)
4 4 oz bottles of either bm or formula at daycare + 2 oz of purees
a 4 oz bottle before I get home
2 oz baby food.
Nurses to sleep around 8pm and then 2x at night.

She's also on the small side (30th percentile), but has been gaining at the same rate since she was born so ped is fine with it.

GodLover 05-03-2012 05:02 PM

:popcorn: need more mamas to chime in.
Our 5 month old eats puree's 1x a day typically afternoon/evening and nurses when im home otherwise eats 4-5 oz bottles every 3-4 hours except at night he sleeps from 9-10 to 5am like clockwork.

Ferrum 05-03-2012 06:52 PM

Wow, interesting.

Currently 9 months, ~18lbs, drinks bm from a sippy (times are approximate):
Nurse @ 7am
2 ounce puree
2.5 ounce bm
Nurse @ 12pm
2 ounce puree
2.5 ounce bm
Nurse @ 6pm
Long nap
Nurse @ 9pm
Nurse @ 11pm
Co-sleep with 2x sleep nurse
Wakes @ 6-7am

When he was ~6months it was more like this:
Nurse @ 7am
1 oz puree
2 oz bm from a bottle, drinks only 1oz
Nurse @ 12pm
1 oz puree
Nurse @ 6pm
Long nap
Nurse @ 9pm
Nurse @ 11pm
Co-sleep with 3-4x sleep nurse
Wakes @ 6-7am

RunawayBunny 05-03-2012 07:55 PM

When ds was six months he got 3 bottles (4 to 6 oz) during the day and nursed early morning, bed time, and once or twice during the night. I offered solids three times a day, but he refused it until... 11 months?

Connor 05-03-2012 08:36 PM

My DS started solids at 1 year. Breastmilk has more calories than almost all solid foods. Until 1 year of age babies should be getting 95% of their calories from breastmilk. I think her weight is perfectly fine but if you feel you need to increase anything, I would just nurse more.

ThreeLittleCubs 05-03-2012 09:34 PM

My DD is 6 months old and still nurses on demand...around 8 times a day. No solids yet.

Ferrum 05-04-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrum (Post 15044839)
Wow, interesting.

Currently 9 months, ~18lbs, drinks bm from a sippy (times are approximate):
Nurse @ 7am
2 ounce puree
2.5 ounce bm
Nurse @ 12pm
2 ounce puree
2.5 ounce bm
Nurse @ 6pm
Long nap
Nurse @ 9pm
Nurse @ 11pm
Co-sleep with 2x sleep nurse
Wakes @ 6-7am

When he was ~6months it was more like this:
Nurse @ 7am
1 oz puree
Nurse @ 12pm
1 oz puree
Nurse @ 6pm
Long nap
Nurse @ 9pm
Nurse @ 11pm
Co-sleep with 3-4x sleep nurse
Wakes @ 6-7am

I am dealing with low supply now as well, barely pump enough to cover for when I am away. I do think that the bm is now thicker than before when all baby ate was bm.
I would have held off on solids until later except baby was not getting enough to eat, and he hated the bottle with a passion. When I make my purees, I use more protein and/or fat than typical. I'm in the camp who believes that babies can't process carbs well until older. I use these below:

1 avocado+1 banana+(bm to adjust consistency of puree)
ground beef (grassfed) cooked with carrots+butter (water to adjust consistency of puree)
chicken cooked with rice and onions+butter (use less rice, water to adjust consistency of puree)
pears cooked with coconut oil, mashed with a fork or pureed with water (I serve this half and half with high fat yogurt, usually Voskos)

I also started sneaking in a little cod liver oil in the pears+yogurt. Start with very little as they can tell!

Courtneymomof2 05-05-2012 12:56 AM

My daughter is 6 1/2 mo,, nurses on demand. I offer her something like banana or avocado, or toast once or twice a day. She sous most of it out. I'm not worried, she weights 18 1/2 lbs.