Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   attachment parenting advice about my 5 year old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389094)

Aloha Baby 05-03-2012 01:35 PM

attachment parenting advice about my 5 year old

We became very AP wh

Aloha Baby 05-03-2012 01:42 PM

Whoops! Dumb phone! Sorry: we became more & more AP during my son's infancy. We now have this awesome almost 6 year old. But I'm kind of wondering where/when his branching out is. We don't like the schools where we live so we homeschool for now. We've participated in sports classes & co-ops since he was almost 3. But he does these activities only if me or Dh are there. I would like him to go do some fun activities like play on a soccer team or take some enrichment type classes. But he cries & says he misses me. Am I wanting too much too soon? Are we too attached? He wants to just stay home & play etc with just me & Dh everyday. He has friends & will go play with them. He's had a babysitter (i'm in school). So I don't really understand what's up or what to do. We do have a newborn, but this has been like this for awhile. Any advice?

ChelseaGirl7 05-03-2012 06:29 PM

Have you tried preparing him ahead of time for something new? My nephew does this when he tries something new, my sil starts preparing him weeks before a new activity. For example, he started t-ball a few weeks ago, back in jan-feb she started telling him that he would play in the spring, pointing out pictures of baseball/t-ball, reading books, things like that. By the time spring came, he was talking about how he was going to play baseball and was excited about it. It might be worth a shot at least, HTH!

Aloha Baby 05-03-2012 07:12 PM

Re: attachment parenting advice about my 5 year old

Yeah, unfortunately he gets excited about stuff but when it comes down to it he'll back out. Or more recently he just says straight up that he doesn't want to. :-(

qsefthuko 05-03-2012 07:40 PM

I would say to give him time. When he is ready to branch out he will. I was very timid and shy as a child. At 5 I wasn't ready for school without my older brother. I would cry ALL day. It got so bad the school finally put me into my older brothers class. I had to sit where I could see him. God forbid they separate us for anything. They tried to put me in a girls line and him in a boys line. I instantly burst into tears. I did finally outgrow it. By the time I was 7 things were much better. I don't think I would have made it without my older brother. Your son is the oldest so he only has you. Right now that is what he needs. The more I was pushed the more scared I became. I think my crying was becoming worse with each day not better and that was why they finally put me with my brother.

kangasox 05-03-2012 07:47 PM

I have no advice, but am going to keep up with this thread since I could have written it nearly verbatim, but mine's a girl. I just try to go with my gut and give her what she needs (as frustrating as it is sometimes). Her younger sister couldn't be more different and we did nothing different as far as AP with her, so I don't think it's me. I figure she'll turn out ok. My husband and I are both shy and had a lot of anxiety as kids. I think you just learn how to cope and what works as you get older, and having loving and supportive parents can only help!

Aloha Baby 05-03-2012 07:51 PM

Ok,thanks! I guess I just wanted a little more than he's ready for. I'm ok taking it at his pace, I just get a little frustrated sometimes. It's important to remember that every person is different. We'll just take babu steps & so what works for him. Thanks!!!

Aloha Baby 05-03-2012 07:52 PM

And you know, Dh & I were both shy as kids too so I really shouldn't be surprised!