Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Kids and Toilets (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389602)

EmilytheStrange 05-04-2012 02:56 PM

Kids and Toilets

So... The world is full of cliches...

And I'd love to know how true the cliche is of kids flushing things down the toilet?

We're about to potty train and so I'm sure DD will get excited about the water in the toilet (she already likes flushing, but we keep the lid down so it's just a noise to her right now).

So, did your kids flush things away?
How old were they, on average?
If so, what were the worst/funniest/whatever?
And if so, what do you do about it? Cause I don't think a toilet lock is a good idea for a potty trained kid.

Thanks in advance!

HeatherlovesCDs 05-04-2012 03:08 PM

Re: Kids and Toilets

I have 5 kids. My youngest just turned 2. We have only had one thing flushed. I can't even remember what it was, but I do remember my husband had to take the toilet off to get it out. It was my oldest son who did it and he was 2 or 3 at the time.

Personally, I keep the door to the bathroom closed at all times unless someone is using it. My kids know to close it behind them. My 2 year olds can open doors. I put a child proof thing over the handle so they can't open it. My 2 year olds do like to flush the toilet and will come in and just flush it if the door is open (or while I'm spraying diapers).

When I'm potty training, I use the kid potties. I've just found that my kids do better with those early on. I keep them in the kitchen when we are training, as long as no one is coming over. :giggle: I have them help me carry the pee/poop to the potty after and let them flush it down. For us, this just works better than giving them access to the bathroom with the toilet and sink where they can reek havoc. :laugh:

EmilytheStrange 05-04-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
When I'm potty training, I use the kid potties. I've just found that my kids do better with those early on. I keep them in the kitchen when we are training, as long as no one is coming over. :giggle: I have them help me carry the pee/poop to the potty after and let them flush it down. For us, this just works better than giving them access to the bathroom with the toilet and sink where they can reek havoc. :laugh:

Did your kids have problems transitioning to the big toilet at others' homes or out and about?

I've worried about that if I use the toddler potty. Also I'm not super excited about cleaning out that little potty. Really sounds like a ton more work than even cloth diapers. I dump and the washing machine sanitizes... With the little bowl, I gotta dump and sanitize and... more work.

pcjs 05-04-2012 03:30 PM

So, did your kids flush things away?

He just started at 2 1/2, but usually its just klenex right now. Usually I keep the door closed with a knob cover or use the toilet lock but sometimes we forget as it isn't a high priority.

If so, what were the worst/funniest/whatever?

Nothing yet. I'm waiting and dreading this. We only have one bathroom so we are going to be in trouble.

And if so, what do you do about it? Cause I don't think a toilet lock is a good idea for a potty trained kid.

Toilet lock, knob on the door, or baby gate or all three.

HeatherlovesCDs 05-04-2012 03:30 PM

Mine didn't have a problem transitioning from the kid potty to the toilet. But, I'm different than a lot of moms. I wait till they are really doing well to take them out in underwear. I really am not into accidents out of the house. They wear pull-ups and I'll take them if they ask or if we are going, but I don't worry too much about potty training out of the house until they are pretty much fully trained at home.

I've never really had to transition them. It just seemed to happen naturally. I think though that might be because even though we start training around 2ish, none of my older kids actually took to it till they were almost 3 or a little over. I guess they were older than most even though I wanted them trained sooner and tried.

I've sort of started with my 2 year old twins. I've tried putting them straight onto the toilet and one is scared and cries. I've never had that before. My olders used both interchangeably. I'm a little nervous about it because I know some kids have issues using a big potty. But, I can't help that he cries when I put him on it. I don't want to torture him. :( So, I'm just planning to use the little potty for now.

As for sanitizing, I just dump and then wipe it quickly with one of those Clorox wipes. It only takes a second.

It's odd because I'm not normally one to do things that will have to transitioned from later and I go straight to the point type of thing. I put my kids in their cribs from birth and that type of thing. I guess for me, this is just easier because I don't have to worry about 2 toddlers playing in the toilet or sink, which they really love. But, with my oldest, he was over 3 when he finally decided to do it. He was only one kid and it was much easier. He just told me and I took him. So, I could keep the door closed without a problem too.

That probably wasn't much help. You'll figure out what works for you and your LO. :laugh:

qsefthuko 05-04-2012 03:32 PM

My first child was no problem. My second child however was a totally different story. He put EVERYTHING into the toilet. When at the laundry mat he would race to the bathroom and lock the door while I tried to put the laundry in the washers. I would have to stand outside the door if I didn't catch him on time. I remember people laughing when they heard me yelling through the door to my son."Do not throw your socks,shoes,hat,pants,shirt,etc in the toilet.". If I happened to miss something it would wind up in the toilet. One time at the local grocery store I had to use the restroom. The restrooms were at the back of the store. It was summer so we had on only shorts and T's. While I was using one stall and couldn't stop him he proceeded to strip and throw ALL his clothes into the other toilet. Of course since he was potty trained I had no diaper bag with me. I had to wait in the restroom until someone came to use the restroom so I could get help with something to cover him. I had no cell phone so I was stuck with a naked toddler. Had it been close to the door I might have made a run for the car with him.

EmilytheStrange 05-04-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
That probably wasn't much help. You'll figure out what works for you and your LO. :laugh:

Was tons of help - thanks :)

EmilytheStrange 05-04-2012 03:40 PM

Oh qsefthuko, that's hilarious and mortifying!

qsefthuko 05-04-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 15049387)
Oh qsefthuko, that's hilarious and mortifying!

Yeah we laugh about it now but at the time I was ready to die.

jbug_4 05-04-2012 04:20 PM

DD never tried flushing things down the toilet. DS at 18 months doesn't throw things in there, but he does try to "clean" it with anything that has a stick attached to it. Last week he used dd's play sword. We have to keep the door shut because he also tries to brush his teeth with everyone's tooth brushes. He also tries to wipe whoever is using the potty. I lied he does like to rip toilet paper and put it in the toilet. I have a feeling when we start potty training him he is going to stop the toilet a few times.