Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Keep baby in room or move her to her room (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389632)

chandni3 05-04-2012 03:57 PM

Keep baby in room or move her to her room

My baby is 5 1/2 months old. She's been sleeping in the Graco 3 stage travel lite crib in our room but she'll soon be too long for it. Our plan was to move her to her crib at 6 months. I have a lovely crib with an awesome mobile in her room that I feel I should be using (other than for storing diapers :giggle:) I'd like to have more freedom to chat with my husband in bed and to have more intimacy without having to be quiet, but I don't know if I'm ready to move my baby to her own room. I like being able to hear her and to know she is safe beside me. I'm having trouble deciding what to do. If we do decide to keep her in our room what should I get for her to sleep in? I don't want to move the crib to our room because our room is small. Co-sleeping isn't really an option because our bed is only a double (barely enough room for the 2 of us) and my husband is a heavy sleeper. I'm in Canada so what is available (and comfortable for her to sleep on) that isn't overly expensive?

CurlyQ215 05-04-2012 04:07 PM

Re: Keep baby in room or move her to her room

If you got a full size pack-n-play, they do make little mattresses for them. You could always try putting her in her own room for a night or two and see how it works out. We transitioned our daughter at around 6 months as well, and it bothered me a whole lot more than it bothered her! After a few nights, I had adjusted pretty well, but she still ends up with us a lot of mornings so we get our snuggle time :-) You just need to do what you feel comfortable with and not rush it, though! I was very thankful for our video monitor when we switched her to her room.

Goosey 05-04-2012 05:51 PM

I would recommend moving her to her own room. My daughter is 5 1/2 months as well and I just moved her into her own room this past week (with my first daughter I waited until she was 1 year). It is great to have my bedroom baby-free again! I have a video monitor and I keep it right next to me so if I wake up I can take a quick look and see that she's sleeping soundly. She was definitely ready for it at this age, and she's actually been sleeping much better and waking up less during the night.

EmilytheStrange 05-04-2012 06:03 PM

I second that video monitors help so much. I swear I just stared at her sleeping for the first few nights.

Even now, I am constantly looking. We just switched to a toddler bed and I watch watch watch to make sure she isn't falling out.

They give so much peace of mind.

pcjs 05-04-2012 08:21 PM

Video monitors are wonderful. I would start to transition to get her used to it starting with some naps for a while, then start at night.

mommabritt 05-04-2012 10:24 PM

I feel for ya mama. My almost 9 month old outgrew the cradle and I pulled out the pnp. I'm so conflicted about her moving out. She doesn't sttn though at all and I mostly don't want the inconvenience of walking back and forth. When she can nap solidly in there I will move her to nights.

Should probably start working on that....

chandni3 05-05-2012 06:01 AM

My baby actually sleeps great at night. Last night she woke at 12 but I put her soother back in and she fell back asleep. Then at 4 she woke and I usually take her into her room for that feeding as it's easier in the chair. Then when she wakes in the morning my husband is usually up and out of the bed so I bring her into bed to feed her. And then we cuddle. I like her close to me at night. Maybe it's cos she's my first and took so long to get. I was tossing and turning all night thinking about it. I'd love to co-sleep but not sure how to do that with our room set up other than putting mattresses on the floor but I don't think my husband would go for it. Plus I love how our room looks. I'm so conflicted....

mommabritt 05-05-2012 07:44 AM

I'm sure it's a little because she is your first. Mine is a lot because she's my last and i want her near me, but she wants to be near me too. A lot because she shares a room with her nearest aged brother and i don want his sleep interrupted. Some because there's no chair for me to nurse her in at night.

It sounds like you have a great night schedule going right now. I would bet that if you moved her to her crib she would do great. Sounds like since she's not waking to nurse at midnight, just stirring, she might drop that.

Mac & Cheeses mom 05-05-2012 08:05 AM

I have started the night out in the rooms, then they end up in my by morning. I love my snuggle bugs in my bed. I have an 11y and a 16m.

I have only had a regular monitor, but I have music playing all the time in their rooms so that way I know when my monitor is working.

I do like the idea of a PP, I am getting ready for a toddler bed and a vid monitor would be awesom.

MDever 05-05-2012 08:07 AM

First let me say that our children usually sleep in our room for 2-3 years. In our bed when they are little and then in a crib or toddler bed depending on which child I am talking about. It is not for everyone but we prefer it. You have to do whatever is going to make you happy. I won't bother telling you not to feel guilty because no matter what you decide you will feel guilty. It is part of being a mama:hugs:

How do you lay her down to sleep? Maybe you could have her sleep in her room paert of the night so that you could enjoy the privacy you are craving and then bring her to your room to a pack and play or mini crib? If you really want to co-sleep you will find a way that works for you. Have you seen an Arms Reach Co-Sleeper?

You will find your way and can always change your mind:bighug: