Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Newborn sleeping help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389821)

mommyria2 05-05-2012 06:10 AM

Newborn sleeping help

How can I get my newborn to sleep somewhere other than on me? He will nurse to sleep and when I try to set him down he wakes up almost immediately and cries until he's back on a boob. My nipples need a break, I need a break. He also screams whenever dh holds him. He's only 2 days old and I don't know how long I can handle this. I have a toddler to take care of too.

jacksmommy1 05-05-2012 06:17 AM

Re: Newborn sleeping help

no advice....unless you want to use a pacificer? But has your milk come in? Maybe he is just waiting on that:) MY first was like that and idk we just took turns holding him all the time.

Urchin 05-05-2012 06:39 AM

Is it possible that he is cluster feeding? At 2 days old, my little one went through an insane bout of cluster feeding where she literally could not be put down. I was so exhausted that I needed the nurses (I was still in the hospital) to take her for a couple hours so I could rest. Unless she was being held, she wouldn't stop crying :(

Hopefully it will pass soon *hugs*

Abbaloosa 05-05-2012 06:41 AM

Have you tried swaddling? That's always the key for us. We do pacifiers too but some babies won't take them. The first two-three weeks are always the hardest...I was so overwhelmed until we hit the 2 wk mark. :hugs: It's so much harder when you have older children.

Do you have a wrap carrier, like a sleepy wrap or Moby? I wouldn't have ever gotten anything done without mine the first six weeks or so. Also we got the Fisher Price sleep n play this time, he slept a lot better in there than in the cradle.

jacksmommy1 05-05-2012 07:09 AM

Oh yes swaddling. My 2 week old is swaddled every night

mommyria2 05-05-2012 07:38 AM

Yes I am swaddling, cluster feeding sounds about right. I have a moby, I'll give that a try.

Ds1 was a nicu baby so this is all new to us.

MDever 05-05-2012 07:52 AM

You may not be swaddling tight enough. It needs to be very snug. Have DH run to Target and grab a pack of A+A (Aden and Anias) Swaddles. You need a few because they stretch and need to be washed and tried to recover their shape. If you think it is too tight it is likely just right. Also, please know this is very normal for a 2 day old baby. He knows exactly what he needs. Mama and milk. His instinctive behavior is designed to encourage your milk. I promise it will get easier.

ikitakunai 05-05-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever (Post 15051706)
Also, please know this is very normal for a 2 day old baby. He knows exactly what he needs. Mama and milk. His instinctive behavior is designed to encourage your milk. I promise it will get easier.

Yes, this is exactly what a newborn should be doing. Hang in there Mama, it is hard, but it gets easier all too quickly. Make sure you are comfortable and snuggle up with your baby, watch some movies, rest, read...

Do you have anyone around to bring you food and drinks and meet your toddler's needs besides some hugs and kisses from mom? It's hard, but try not to be afraid to ask people to get you what you need. And when you really need something like a quick shower to breathe, don't be afraid to do so with baby crying for a few moments in Daddy's loving arms.

Bhavana 05-05-2012 02:04 PM

If you dont have a big enough swaddle blanket that can be wrapped around tightly, in a cinch, you can cut up an old cotton sheet and use, or even a big towel..although in this weather, a towel might make him too warm.

As for giving your nipples a break, for the next 2 days, WHENEver you see him sleeping, apply lansinoh on the nipples and air them out..like stay naked.

I would also suggest a dose of gripewater/Mylicon to calm his tummy.

And most importantly, please go thro these websites while you NAK!
http://www.kellymom.com/ and
http://www.llli.org/

They offer a lot of advice that makes you go "Of course! So that's why he did that."

bluedaisyma 05-05-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikitakunai (Post 15051796)
Yes, this is exactly what a newborn should be doing. Hang in there Mama, it is hard, but it gets easier all too quickly. Make sure you are comfortable and snuggle up with your baby, watch some movies, rest, read...

Do you have anyone around to bring you food and drinks and meet your toddler's needs besides some hugs and kisses from mom? It's hard, but try not to be afraid to ask people to get you what you need. And when you really need something like a quick shower to breathe, don't be afraid to do so with baby crying for a few moments in Daddy's loving arms.

exactly this. Or wear him in a sling while you are tending to the toddler. but right now, at 2 days pp, you should be resting!