Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   celiac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389919)

hailey1312 05-05-2012 12:15 PM

celiac

does anyones child/toddler have celiac? If so how did you get it diagnosed? What sort of symptoms did your child have?

Jen's_4 05-05-2012 12:28 PM

Re: celiac

Lots of diaherra--and large undigested food pieces in it for us. Lots of tummy pain. Little to no weight gain. Gassiness. Very foul smelling stools. Frequent illnesses, frequent rashes. We actually ended up bring it as a concern to the Dr. because LO was failure to thrive and had been tested for everything and the Dr. had no idea what was going on with her. We asked about celiac, and they did bloodwork for it, which came back negative. Results are not that accurate for those tests--especially as DD was one at the time, and they are even less accurate on little ones. She wanted to do endoscopy but I didn't want to and when ended up going to a children's hospital in Kansas City. We did a food trail....she did SOO much better when we got gluten out of her diet. When we reintroduced gluten, it was awful. And that's how she was dx. You should know that symptoms can vary---a LOT from person to person, so just because that's what it looked like for us doesn't mean that it will look like that for you. As a bonus, DDs attitude also improved dramatically on the diet! Good luck to you, I know this is a rough time with a big learning curve. Feel free to ask me anything...I've got 2 girls with celiac now.

turtledance 05-05-2012 12:36 PM

Funny you post this as I am frustratingly searching the internet for help in making a new gluten free bread! My 4 yo DS just had a biopsy last Tuesday. We do not have the results back, but started him gluten free as soon as the biopsy was done. He had elevated tTG levels a couple of months ago. I have suspected celiac disease myself. I went gluten free without getting tested and now cannot tolerate even trace amounts of gluten. My DS's primary symptoms were chronic constipation ever since starting solid foods, very low appetite and very low on the growth charts (from birth to 6 months at over 50th percentile to now at under the 2nd) Even if his biopsy results are negative, we will be keeping him on a gluten free diet to see if he gets better. Testing in kids is tricky though. There is a much higher rate of false negatives than in adults.

ETA: He also has extreme mood swings, which I feel are likely related as well. When he was on a higher gluten diet prior to the biopsy, it was pretty bad!

jenbengtson 05-05-2012 03:19 PM

we are in the process of getting out toddler tested. We are on the food trail right now. She has extrema constipation, and little weight gain. We already did milk and that wasn't it, so this was the next step. She has been on it for 2 wks and will do another week before we go back to the dr. Now she has extremely lose stools. so I am not sure what is going on. They say the tests are hard to do on children under 2, cause you can get false results.