Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Did 17P work for you? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1390356)

DMurfee 05-06-2012 03:02 PM

Did 17P work for you?

I had never heard of the 17p, hydroxy-progesterone injections until my second pregnancy. DD was born at 34 wks so my OB suggested them. I started injections at 20-21 wks and continued until PROM at 33wks.
After reading through some posts I noticed that several mothers have used them to try to prevent early labor. So I'm wondering, if you took the 17p injections did you carry full term (37 wks+). Was your previous pregnancy early because of PROM or with contractions and dilation?

vmomma 05-06-2012 04:56 PM

Re: Did 17P work for you?

My 25 weeker was due to incompetent cervix and PPROM. I was taking 17p with her and it obviously did not prevent the cervix from shortening and bag from rupturing. But, it's not supposed to! 17P relaxes the uterus and prevents contractions, which it did do. I did not go into labor for 10 days after rupture and that was because I was getting infected.

Fast forward to now....I'm 37+ weeks, with no PTL, and no PPROM. I have been on 17P since 16 weeks and my uterus has been very happy. However, I did have a pre-pregnancy abdominal cerclage placed which has kept my cervix nice and long throughout. I absolutely thing that 17P has helped me carry to term. My uterus can't handle a lot of contractions, and I'm very thankful they have been minimal.

Are you going into PTL, and then your water breaks? Is your cervix shortening prematurely, or is it totally random?

DMurfee 05-06-2012 05:39 PM

It seems like a totally random PROM both times. I had a few contractions before my water broke the second time around but they were not strong at all. I had also been on two weeks of bedrest during my second pregnancy because of light contractions and dilating to 1cm.

Lousli 05-10-2012 07:35 AM

I had pPROM at 36 weeks, again at 33 weeks (after complications and stress on my body) and then did 17p and had her at 37 weeks 2 days. I did have PROM (but not pPROM) before her birth, so it seems that it just how my body does it.

vmomma 05-11-2012 12:48 AM

I would just make sure they monitor your cervix very closely :) The 17P won't hurt

philly78 05-11-2012 02:58 AM

I had pProm at 27 weeks with my first and he was born at 32. I do have a bicornuate uterus which puts me at risk for preterm labor. I also had 5 misses after having my first. Fast forward 12 years and I'm actually sitting here nursing my LO who was just born on April 5th. I would normally never be up at this time! Lol. I was 39 weeks 3 days. I started the 17P at 17 weeks so....it worked for me.

fish3737 05-16-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmomma (Post 15079924)
I would just make sure they monitor your cervix very closely :) The 17P won't hurt

This.

I had 17P in two pregnancies. They both went longer than my first. I hated the shots, but I would do it again if I had to.

madebytrudi 05-18-2012 08:28 PM

I was offered the injections due to delivering my first at 32 wks and my others around 36 weeks. I've never had PROM, unless you count that my water broke as the babies were coming out.

After researching the injections I declined them. Nobody can predict if you will go preterm again, or not and it cannot be proven that the drug really works because of this fact esp since there are sooooo many reasons to why women go preterm. It is one of the biggest mysteries science cannot figure out!

For me, I feel I deliver early, because my gestation is supposed to be shorter than the expected 40 weeks. It seems, after chatting with my birth mother, that most women in my family birth early.

sillyutalktome 05-21-2012 07:45 PM

This is my first time with the 17P shots so I really can't say if they'll work or not for me :) The doctor burst my waters, so I'm not sure about PPROM but I would ask your doctor about anything you can do to strengthen your amniotic bag as well as the shots. I believe my friend did extra Vitamin C and D? But I could be totally off. She went overdue three days without doing the 17p shots.

Gardyloo 05-24-2012 01:03 AM

OP, that sounds a lot like me. With my first, I had pPROM at 32 weeks with no previous contractions. He was born 12 hours later. I did the shots with my second, and had PROM at 38 weeks, again with no contractions before hand. She was born 2 hours later. I'm doing the shots again this time around, and hoping for a similar outcome.