Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   budgeting (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1391173)

justjacqueline 05-08-2012 10:33 AM

budgeting

. :thumbsup:

MommyZ of 2 05-08-2012 12:35 PM

I sell on eBay and gross about $500- $600 per month selling mostly Disney Diecast Cars and used baby gear. We buy a lot of stuff cheap at yard sales and sell it for profit. I do not operate a "store" because you have to pay extra for that. I use my 50 free listings a month and any other listing specials that they run to avoid fees as much as possible. I have top rated and power seller status which gives me 20% off final value fees and up to 30% off shipping through USPS. I also have a free Auctiva account to design listings with fancy details, and copy them in HTML to paste in Turbo Lister. Auctiva itself provides many features, but it's $15 a month. Providing international shipping really boosts sales ALOT! I spend about $50 a year on supplies like boxes, mailers and tape, but that's included in my shipping charges. I charge full price shipping, even though I get a discount, to cover my packaging expenses.
Local stores are great places to find things to sell, too. Just because all the stores in your area sell certain things, not everyone elses does. Example: Daryl Dixon figure from AMCs The Walking Dead: $14.99 at store. Listed on EBay for $34.99 + $3.50 shipping. Sold within 5 minutes! Yard sale success: Veggie Tales Pirate Ship with figures and accessories: $.50 at yard sale. Sold on auction for $32.00. Motherhood sleep nursing bras: $.50- $1.00 at yard sale, sell for $5- $8 each in eBay. Swaddle me sleep sacks are another easy money maker. It's spring, and yard sale season, so every weekend I'm out searching for things people might want to buy. Sometimes I make mistakes, and can't sell things, and I donate them. I can usually write off more than I paid.

justjacqueline 05-08-2012 01:28 PM

Re: does anyone have a sucessful Ebay store?

:)

threestraycats 05-08-2012 04:34 PM

Mommyto5Princesses i think has an ebay store...

ittybittycoconuts 05-08-2012 04:52 PM

I do pretty good listing my kids outgrown clothes. If Im out and find a good name brand item on clearance I look at ebays sold listings for the same item to see if its worth it.

MommyZ of 2 05-08-2012 08:40 PM

I usually can not look things up in completed listings when I'm out, but it would be so simple for smartphone users. We only have very basic pay as you go cell phones since we only use them for emergencies (seriously, we use it maybe 5 min a month between the two of us!) it's just not worth it for us to have an extra $100/month on cell phones. If I can connect my iPod to a wifi network, I will check, but if I have a good feeling about something at the store, I just buy it all and save my receipt! I can always return it later :) At yard sales, not so much, since most people are smart enough to password-protect their in-home networks. I have been known to occasionally connect to one of the neighbors wifi if it's not locked, though!

MommyZ of 2 05-08-2012 08:46 PM

One more thing, if you check clearance sections for stuff to sell- Target is hands-down #1! When they clearance- they really, really mark stuff down- A LOT! I made a bunch of money on $2 clearanced Tron Legacy action figures. You can almost never go wrong on action figures if the packaging is mint- especially DC Universe.

sasra_nu 05-10-2012 01:29 PM

I am just trying to get started doing this. I've sold things in the past - but mostly just stuff we had outgrown/didn't use anymore. I haven't specifically gone out and bought things to re-sell, KWIM?

But I have been scoping yard sales and I am going to try - we could really use the extra $ to pay some things off. I am in a low COL area and there are tons of yard sales coming up so I figured I might as well. Most garage sales around here seem to price kids clothes SUPER cheap.

Anyone have a list of items (or a link to one) that sell well that would be worth keeping an eye out for? I know I can do brand name kids clothes/shoes and certain toys sell well.

Today I picked up a vintage Pyrex casserole dish for .25 that I'm going to list. Planning on hitting some more sales tomorrow. :)

I'm definitely going to check out Auctiva also! :thumbsup:

justjacqueline 05-10-2012 07:28 PM

Always check craigslist too

crazymom 05-10-2012 08:47 PM

I used to run one. Got burnt out on it and now just list periodically. after fees with the store, I would bring in around $1000 to $2000 a month. I sold name brand kids clothes mostly. My best sellers were Gymboree and baby gap. Though I did come across some Kate Mack stuff at good will that I made a killing of of a few years ago.

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!