Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Homebirthers - books, videos etc for children? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1391283)

zandj 05-08-2012 12:53 PM

Homebirthers - books, videos etc for children?

Anyone know of any good children's books, DVDs, youtube videos etc addressing homebirth and more natural pregnancy and childbirthing? I have found one on Amazon but it's like $60+?? can't seem to find it anywhere else either. DS is almost 4.5. TIA!

and what about for me? any good books besides Ina May?

1healthylady 05-09-2012 07:43 AM

Re: Homebirthers - books, videos etc for children?

These are the books recommended by my midwives. Childbirth without Fear was a really difficult read.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
The Birth Book by William Sears and Martha Sears
Childbirth without Fear by Michel Odent and Grantly ****-Read
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way: Revised Edition by Susan
McCutcheon-Rosegg, Erick Ingraham, and Robert A. Bradley
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer and
Rhonda Wheeler
Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper
Rediscovering Birth by Sheila Kitzinger
The Pregnancy Book by William and Martha Sears
The Nursing Mother's Companian by Kathleen Huggins
The Birth Partner by Penny Simpkin
Active Birth by Janet Balaskas
Wise Women Herbal for the Childbearing Year by Susun S. Weed,
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by Le Leche League

umphreysmommy 05-09-2012 08:38 AM

For kids there is

"we're having a home birth" which is just written by a home birth mama and sold on her site.

Dr. Sears has a we're having a baby book and they go to a birth center and the baby breastfeeds.

JennTheMomma 05-09-2012 10:19 PM

Welcome with Love is another homebirth book, and then there is Momma Tell Me about When Max Was Born (or something along those lines, it's a waterbirth story). I would just type in birth videos on Youtube and pre-watch. My kids have seen tons, I don't really pre-watch though, just explain what is happening.

Bella Catalina 05-09-2012 10:22 PM

Welcome With Love is also titled Hello, Baby (by Jenni Overend, IIRC (?))--it's much cheaper as one or the other and is likely that $60 book you mentioned. We also have the Sears book mentioned above. Other than that, we watch hb videos on youtube. My 3.5 yo DS and I watched a couple today, actually :)

dogmom327 05-10-2012 09:23 AM

We have Hello, Baby and We're Having a Homebirth. Both are good. We have to go out of town this weekend but as soon as we get back I'm going to start showing them videos. I am undecided whether they'll be present for the birth but if it happens in the middle of the night, I want to be sure they'll be okay if they wake up in the middle of it.

doulamomma 05-10-2012 09:59 AM

welcome with love is a great book. penny simpkins 3 rs of childbirth is great video. it's not made for kids, but it's one of the few videos that don't cut away when the baby us born and it doesn't have any music. it's the actual sounds the moms make. I also did lots of role playing with my girls too. they would practice making labor sounds lol

Pyrodjm 05-10-2012 11:09 AM

We have "welcome with love", got it pretty from abebooks.com.