Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northeast (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   What's life like in NY? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1391693)

slingmama4 05-09-2012 12:22 PM

What's life like in NY?

I've lived in the south my whole life, but we may be (80% chance) movin to Beamus Point, NY. Can anyone share how life is there? near there? Whats winter like? summer like? people like? Anyone homeschool there and tell me what the requirements are? I'm a bit scared of such a huge change. Any input would be appreciated!

jjordan 05-10-2012 10:59 PM

Re: What's life like in NY?

I grew up very very near Bemus Point. It is a very small town. Summers are BEAUTIFUL. You might find them to be a bit cool. :) Winter is VERY snowy. Bemus Point is right smack in the snow belt of WNY. I don't home school, but I do know many people that do. I think that you will find people less friendly than in the south, but definitely much more friendly than a city in the northeast.

Mind if I ask what brings you to Bemus Point?

slingmama4 05-11-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjordan (Post 15079625)
I grew up very very near Bemus Point. It is a very small town. Summers are BEAUTIFUL. You might find them to be a bit cool. :) Winter is VERY snowy. Bemus Point is right smack in the snow belt of WNY. I don't home school, but I do know many people that do. I think that you will find people less friendly than in the south, but definitely much more friendly than a city in the northeast.

Mind if I ask what brings you to Bemus Point?

Thank you for respnding! That's awesome that you know exactly where I'm talking about. A church is considering my husband as a pastor there. I assumed people would be not as friendly as in the south, but then I spoke with some women from the church and they were amazingly kind and friendly. We are really worried about the winters and all the snow. We've never dealt with snow like that. I mean is it like shoveling your roof every day?

LilyOlivesMom 05-11-2012 10:09 AM

I lived in WNY for 10 years and loved it! And no, you won't have to shovel the roof everyday :)

jjordan 05-11-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slingmama4 (Post 15080828)
Thank you for respnding! That's awesome that you know exactly where I'm talking about. A church is considering my husband as a pastor there. I assumed people would be not as friendly as in the south, but then I spoke with some women from the church and they were amazingly kind and friendly. We are really worried about the winters and all the snow. We've never dealt with snow like that. I mean is it like shoveling your roof every day?

Compared to other areas in the northeast, Bemus Point is very friendly, and I'm sure that there are lots of friendly people in the church. But probably you'll find that grocery store clerks, fast food employees, etc are less friendly than what you're used to. :)

There is a LOT of snow in Bemus Point. Each winter you will probably have several times when you get a foot or more of snow within the space of a day or so. Most of the winter there will be snow on the ground. The first snow usually happens in October sometime, although it doesn't usually start staying until late in November. The last snow is usually in April, but April snow doesn't stay around either. The highways get cleared very quickly. You will not need an all wheel drive vehicle unless you live on a dirt road or at the top of a hill or something like that. If you live in a village with sidewalks, you will need to shovel your sidewalks. Often people will hire someone to plow their driveway if it is long. If it's short then you'll need to shovel that. (Or you could get a snow blower, many people have those.) If you're living in a parsonage then the chuch will likely hire someone to plow your driveway (especially if it is shared with the church).

You'll all need warm coats, mittens/gloves, hats, scarves, and snow boots. The children will also need snow pants.

You will not need air conditioning in your house in the summer. There are places very nearby where you can go skiing. You're very close to Chautauqua Lake, so in the summer that's swimming, boating, etc, and in the winter is ice fishing if you're so inclined. :)

If you have other questions please let me know!

3 ladybugs 05-11-2012 01:16 PM

I can't speak to that town or area, I have only lived in eastern (downstate, but not in the city) of New York. However I can tell you that the state isn't all like NYC. People I have found are friendly and much like other country folk. I also never home schooled there so I am not sure of the laws.

Good luck and I hope you get the call if that is what you want!

slingmama4 05-12-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjordan (Post 15081842)
Compared to other areas in the northeast, Bemus Point is very friendly, and I'm sure that there are lots of friendly people in the church. But probably you'll find that grocery store clerks, fast food employees, etc are less friendly than what you're used to. :)

There is a LOT of snow in Bemus Point. Each winter you will probably have several times when you get a foot or more of snow within the space of a day or so. Most of the winter there will be snow on the ground. The first snow usually happens in October sometime, although it doesn't usually start staying until late in November. The last snow is usually in April, but April snow doesn't stay around either. The highways get cleared very quickly. You will not need an all wheel drive vehicle unless you live on a dirt road or at the top of a hill or something like that. If you live in a village with sidewalks, you will need to shovel your sidewalks. Often people will hire someone to plow their driveway if it is long. If it's short then you'll need to shovel that. (Or you could get a snow blower, many people have those.) If you're living in a parsonage then the chuch will likely hire someone to plow your driveway (especially if it is shared with the church).

You'll all need warm coats, mittens/gloves, hats, scarves, and snow boots. The children will also need snow pants.

You will not need air conditioning in your house in the summer. There are places very nearby where you can go skiing. You're very close to Chautauqua Lake, so in the summer that's swimming, boating, etc, and in the winter is ice fishing if you're so inclined. :)

If you have other questions please let me know!

Wow! That is exactly what I needed. Thank you for sharing so much info. Yes, we would be living in the parsonage, so thankfully that drivewy would be taken care of. We go up and visit and my husband to preach early June. I'm excited to go somewhere more Northern than North Carolina. I'm going to share your info with my husband. Thanks again!

jjordan 05-12-2012 10:29 PM

Happy to be of help! Please let me know if you think of specific questions that I haven't already addressed. :)

kayleesmama2112 06-06-2012 09:40 AM

m

vbn985 08-03-2013 11:43 AM

If its upstate western ny, then be prepared for the possibility of all 4 seasons in one day!