Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   One Year Old that Still Won't Eat Solids?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393040)

Shalom 05-12-2012 03:14 PM

One Year Old that Still Won't Eat Solids??

DD2 is 1 Yr old and still won't eat solids. She refuses purees or spoon feeding of any kind, and will only feed herself a tiny bite of somthing once in awhile when it's her idea. We offer her food several times a day and have even tried to hold off on giving her a bottle of formula for several hours- only offering her table food in hopes that she would be hungry and eat more.....to no avail. I don't know what to do with her. Any ideas?

tibeca 05-12-2012 04:25 PM

Re: One Year Old that Still Won't Eat Solids??

Some babies just aren't ready for solids until closer to 18 months. Trust your baby. :)

Shalom 05-13-2012 08:36 PM

Really? I've never heard of a baby not eating food at a year old. I'm worried about her. The doctor said she drinks too much milk/formula which inhibits her iron absorbtion and she has low iron levels :-(

jaelynsmommy61607 05-13-2012 08:41 PM

My son didn't like puree food ever. I'd start doing finger foods twice a day to start.

MDever 05-13-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 15086938)
Some babies just aren't ready for solids until closer to 18 months. Trust your baby. :)

Are there any resources about this? Poppy is 17mo and barely eats any food. She nurses like MAD and we would not be able to live with her if I refused her the "nursie". She is anemic too but we got her iron up quite a bit over the last 3 months. She has terrible reflux and is on 2 medications to manage it. She will be seeing the Gastro doc in a few weeks and I am afraid they will want to start tube feeds. Sorry for the hijack:blush:

Shalom 05-13-2012 09:32 PM

We have tried baby led weaning (table food) from the start after purees were refused and that's how she will eat a bite or two of something, but that's it :-(

EmilytheStrange 05-14-2012 02:50 PM

I wouldn't worry.... Except you said her iron levels were low. And that's a cause for concern.

Will she drink smoothies? Puréed spinach is great in a fruit smoothie. it might even hide well in a sippy of formula, not sure.

Of course, you want to continue offering regular solids.

My daughter was slow to solids. She had transitioned to breakfast at 10months and then added lunch and supper at 12 and 13 months. It feels like she changed her mind overnight. She's an awesome eater even though she took awhile to really start consuming.

All is not lost.

tibeca 05-15-2012 05:16 PM

Check out the book "My Child Won't Eat" By Dr. Carlos Gonzalez. It includes a section on why some babies refuse solids and possible (but unlikely) disorders (like sensory disorders in relation to food).

kathryngraces 05-22-2012 07:48 PM

My BF DS at almost 12 mos sounds a lot like your LO. Mostly, I'm choosing not to worry, but still... I wonder. How old does he have to get before I do start worrying? He hasn't gained any weight in 2.5 months. (He was pretty chunky, though, so he still has meat on his bones.) Many, if not most, other babies his age are eating like champs. He will put something in his mouth for curiosity, but gags on most solids and refuses most purees. I don't know his iron levels, since they haven't been tested.

leadmare 05-22-2012 09:02 PM

Don't stress mamma! "Food for fun till after one", if you haven't heard the saying. At 12 months your lo should still get a minimum of 75 percent of their nutrition from milk (either breastmilk or formula). It will happen, and they will eventually eat solids :) And your lo may prefer finger food to purees. If you can find a way to give iron w/o a supplement, great. But don't beat yourself up, and don't sweat it.