Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tell me about Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393578)

Leiiki 05-14-2012 10:59 AM

Tell me about Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil
 
I've heard a lot of hype, but I would like more concrete proof that this is worth spending $60+ a month on. Any studies on the benefits or *personal* concrete examples (not hearsay)?

Leiiki 05-14-2012 09:50 PM

Anyone?

kellfran 05-14-2012 10:03 PM

Re: Tell me about Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil
 
We use FCLO here---I do feel better when I take it. Def more focused, and not as foggy. I missed about a week of taking it, and I got a horrible cold--just getting over it now. I know there is another thread somewhere about it and another mama using the high butter/CLO blend to correct or reverse their cavaties. This post might be helpful too--regarding the processing of it.
http://nourishingourchildren.wordpre...il-production/

chameleon607 05-14-2012 10:10 PM

Re: Tell me about Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil
 
I haven't tried it yet, but have been reading about it! Funny you should post this tonight, earlier today, on a facebook page I belong to, a person posted about her son having a cavity (after my 4 year old coming home with 2 cavities last week...gasp!!!!), and several Mamas commented that fermented cod liver oil/butter oil can help heal a cavity. One Mama posted these links:
http://​www.thehealthyhomeeconomist​...cavi​ty/
http://​www.mommypotamus.com/​can-a-...e-tooth-decay/
I had just run across mommypotamus the week before when my 4 year old came home from the dentist.
So, to be redirected to her (AND with her doing a fermented cod liver oil giveaway)felt like a lightbulb, to find another Mama blog that said the same thing felt like a sign, and you posting this tonight feels like a big blinking sign for me that says try this!

Here is another direct link from mommypotamus about the fermented cod liver oil: she was doing a giveaway, but it ended a couple of hours ago.
http://www.mommypotamus.com/giveaway...cod-liver-oil/

Leiiki 05-14-2012 10:27 PM

Yes, those are the sites I saw it on. I am leery of all the miracle claims, though I'm really tempted, partly since we're TTC and want to be as healthy as possible, but also because I shell out ~$300 at every dentist visit for fillings and such. If the claims are true, $60 a month would probably even out in lower dental bills. And, I'm already taking generic fish oil, so I could subtract the cost of the cheap stuff if I buy the FCLO/BO instead.

I already brush with baking soda and occasionally coconut oil, I try to do the olive oil mouth rinse sometimes but it's NASTY!!

PBAki 05-15-2012 09:50 AM

Re: Tell me about Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil
 
I wouldn't bother. Any and all products marketed to give you any sort amazing results are overpriced products to promise any and all short term results and nothing more. I don't think there's been a product since when supplement industry really came about. For $60 a month you could get quality whole foods vitamins and supplements that will see better results.

Leiiki 05-15-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBAki
I wouldn't bother. Any and all products marketed to give you any sort amazing results are overpriced products to promise any and all short term results and nothing more. I don't think there's been a product since when supplement industry really came about. For $60 a month you could get quality whole foods vitamins and supplements that will see better results.

Any recommendations for specific whole foods we can add? I already do a smoothie with spinach, banana, yogurt, flax, apple, carrot, and blueberries every morning.

PBAki 05-15-2012 10:26 AM

Re: Tell me about Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki (Post 15098641)
Any recommendations for specific whole foods we can add? I already do a smoothie with spinach, banana, yogurt, flax, apple, carrot, and blueberries every morning.

Sounds good to me!

Honestly as long as you're avoiding processed foods at least minimizing it but taking in balanced complex carbs and lean protein with good fats like nuts and seeds you should be fine. At least for carbs I prefer oats, brown rice and from time to time just plain ol' starchy rice but keep that to a serving or less for the meal.

What generic fish oil are you taking by the way? I find Solgar's Omega complex work really well; noticed a huge difference especially during winter including less dry skin. I try to stick to Solgar, Megafood and any companies that are GMP certified if not certified organic to make sure the supplements come from naturally sourced and not lab produced.

chameleon607 05-15-2012 01:32 PM

Re: Tell me about Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PBAki (Post 15098548)
I wouldn't bother. Any and all products marketed to give you any sort amazing results are overpriced products to promise any and all short term results and nothing more. I don't think there's been a product since when supplement industry really came about. For $60 a month you could get quality whole foods vitamins and supplements that will see better results.

My thought to this is that fermented cod liver oil isn't exactly a marketed product- you have to go searching....but I dont know...I think it's worth a try to see if it does make a difference (at least for us)

Have you checked into Weston A Price principles? I'm getting ready to try our hand at cultured vegetables soon. I'd rather our probiotics and nutrition coming from real foods rather than supplements.

Connor 05-17-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chameleon607
I haven't tried it yet, but have been reading about it! Funny you should post this tonight, earlier today, on a facebook page I belong to, a person posted about her son having a cavity (after my 4 year old coming home with 2 cavities last week...gasp!!!!), and several Mamas commented that fermented cod liver oil/butter oil can help heal a cavity. One Mama posted these links:
http://​www.thehealthyhomeeconomist​...cavi​ty/
http://​www.mommypotamus.com/​can-a-...e-tooth-decay/
I had just run across mommypotamus the week before when my 4 year old came home from the dentist.
So, to be redirected to her (AND with her doing a fermented cod liver oil giveaway)felt like a lightbulb, to find another Mama blog that said the same thing felt like a sign, and you posting this tonight feels like a big blinking sign for me that says try this!

Here is another direct link from mommypotamus about the fermented cod liver oil: she was doing a giveaway, but it ended a couple of hours ago.
http://www.mommypotamus.com/giveaway...cod-liver-oil/

My DS takes the fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend from green pastures. And we have succussfully healed his tooth decay. He actually loves the taste of it and takes it right off of the spoon :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors