Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Little vent about constant comments at work (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1395492)

Sarichka 05-18-2012 07:31 AM

Little vent about constant comments at work

Thanks in advance for letting me vent :)

I was due with my first on Wednesday but she hasn't arrived yet which is no big deal. I feel fine and have been coming into work to keep myself busy and off of the couch. The constant comments from my colleagues are driving me crazy though! Every freaking day for the past few weeks people stop in my doorway and say "YOU'RE STILL HERE?!?!" and other various comments about my body and pregnancy. I get remarks from people who are amazed that I can walk up the stairs. I admit that I already had a bit of a chip on my shoulder about people regarding pregnancy as a disability and being shocked that pregnant women can still exercise, but walking up some stairs? Give me a break! I realize they mean well, but I can't how they don't mind sounding like broken records. I'm going to start working from home or elsewhere next week - I have much sympathy for moms who can't escape from their workplaces.

That's all! :mrgreen:

wordmama 05-18-2012 10:55 AM

Just make yourself a t-shirt that says "yes, I'm still pregnant and I feel great. Please be aware that if you have anything else to say about my shape or state, I may wrestle you to the ground."

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Liadan23 05-18-2012 01:44 PM

Re: Little vent about constant comments at work

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordmama (Post 15115266)
Just make yourself a t-shirt that says "yes, I'm still pregnant and I feel great. Please be aware that if you have anything else to say about my shape or state, I may wrestle you to the ground."

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

lol. i need one too!

but i totally get it. i know people are just trying to make conversation and be nice. and frankly, everyone's excited about a new baby! but i've been getting the "what are you still doing here?!?" comments for like a month now. i'm still a week away from my due date. seriously people?! it gets old. every friday i leave and as i walk out, every.single.person goes "see you on monday!.......or will i?" as if it's the most original, hilarious, comment ever. at least you can escape next week and work from home. no such luck here. *sigh*

songbird516 05-18-2012 02:00 PM

Lol. I was working in an office with my first and my boss took some of the ladies in the office out to lunch. One of the ladies said "you don't seem like you're going to have a baby in two days." I said, "I don't think that I am!" I really thought I would go two weeks overdue. Joke was on me, as she was born on her due date, two days later. I hadn't even prepped my desk because I was so sure that I'd have some clue when she was coming.
Totally with you on the exercise- people would stop me and take whatever I was carrying, but I just laughed and let them do it, then went to Body Pump later.

kwaii_amaranth 05-18-2012 05:34 PM

*sigh*

Also my biggest pet peeve ever at the end of pregnancy. I went ten days over, and it really wasn't that bad... except for all my mother-luvin' family, friends, and coworkers. Gah! :yack:

I started my maternity leave early because I couldn't stand the thought of going in one more Friday. Had the baby on Monday, and still happy I did that!

Sarichka 05-19-2012 05:50 AM

Ha! Thanks, everyone. I changed my cell phone voicemail to "Hi...I'm still pregnant. If you'd like to talk about something else, please leave a message. Thanks!" A little snarky, but I think my family and friends will be understanding.

My sister told me a funny story about a colleague going on maternity leave from her lab. One of her male coworkers was really uncomfortable around pregnant women and kept pestering her with "you should stay home" comments. On her last day, she cornered him for a hug and when he came in, she spilled a beaker of water under them and said "oh my!" He freaked out :)

Michelle_M 05-19-2012 07:27 PM

I would start being sarcastic like

Coworker: You're STILL here?
You: NO, I'm a holographic image, I'm really sitting on my couch eating ice cream.

LOL

God bless!

CaliRoll 05-19-2012 08:33 PM

It could be worse... I was about 4 weeks post partum and a client said "I bet you're ready to have that baby! Aren't you due soon?"

magdalynaa 05-20-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliRoll
It could be worse... I was about 4 weeks post partum and a client said "I bet you're ready to have that baby! Aren't you due soon?"

Ohhhh, dear. That's a huge foot in the mouth.

doulamomma 05-20-2012 03:32 PM

(((hugs)))) this is exactly why I do not tell anyone my actual due date. ive had one born at 41 wks and one at 42. people dont start being obnoxious until much later. I usually pad it by a couple weeks and it's always vague. my edd is jan 4 this time and I'm telling everyone mid jan lol also, I don't usually answer my phone those last couple weeks and respond only in txt form.