Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Vasectomy - anyone's partner have bad side effects? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1395869)

ExpatMama1990 05-18-2012 11:55 PM

Vasectomy - anyone's partner have bad side effects?

DH & I are discussing vasectomy... He was all for it, but made a comment about it not being permanent - um what?! So I did some research for him, as he obviously wasn't fully informed about the whole thing and found some things that worried me... I passed them along to DH and now he is afraid and doesn't want a V.

Stuff like chronic pain, immune issues, cancer issues... Just wondering if anyone has solid research on the BAD of vasectomies or if their partner has experienced any negative side effects from their V. I'm worried, but really want DH to get a V as I cannot handle any more kids! We are done!

KaleidoscopeEyes 05-19-2012 08:10 AM

Re: Vasectomy - anyone's partner have bad side effects?

ex didnt have any issues. they only cauterized one side and left the other to spill into the body. they said this would create anti bodies against the sperm thus preventing any chance of failure.

ExpatMama1990 05-19-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
ex didnt have any issues. they only cauterized one side and left the other to spill into the body. they said this would create anti bodies against the sperm thus preventing any chance of failure.

That's weird; that's exactly what I've been reading you DON'T want to happen as the immune response can cause your body to start attacking other parts of itself...!

KaleidoscopeEyes 05-19-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExpatMama1990 (Post 15120183)
That's weird; that's exactly what I've been reading you DON'T want to happen as the immune response can cause your body to start attacking other parts of itself...!

that's funny, his urologist specifically did it this way and explained why as benefit vs cauterizing both ends

ExpatMama1990 05-19-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes

that's funny, his urologist specifically did it this way and explained why as benefit vs cauterizing both ends

Well that's interesting! I'll have to look more into it. Thanks for the input :)

yellowitchgrl 05-20-2012 09:53 AM

I've heard horror stories so we've taken it off the table totally

tibeca 05-20-2012 11:09 AM

While the risk of those complications is generally small, after talking about it, DH and I realize that we are better off doing nothing permanent. The possible risk (even if very minimal) was too much for us. Those % risks are low unless you're the one with the problem, KWIM?

ExpatMama1990 05-20-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 15123284)
While the risk of those complications is generally small, after talking about it, DH and I realize that we are better off doing nothing permanent. The possible risk (even if very minimal) was too much for us. Those % risks are low unless you're the one with the problem, KWIM?

Yeah, that's what I said to DH. With all the conflicting information I'm reading, it's easy to say 'well the risk is going to be minimal IF there's a risk'.... But if you're the small percentage that suffers complications, then that's EVERYTHING.

There are lots of reasons I shouldn't really get pregnant again though and I would much prefer something permanent... I also don't want to put my body through anything else, but I don't want DH to suffer bad side effects 'for me' iykwim? I have a latex sensitivity and hate condoms because they rub me raw (even with a ton of lube...). :( I wish there were more options for men!

I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with complications of vasectomy, as most women on here, whose partner has had the big V say it went fine, no issues...

happysmileylady 05-20-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes (Post 15119096)

My DH had antisperm antibodies...the RE who did our IVF after six years of infertility diagnosed it and showed DH in the microscope how they knew (I was fresh out of egg retrieval, so I only got this from DH, but I consider him a pretty reliable source of info about his own swimmers.) We were told IVF was pretty much our only option for having babies.

Instead, after DD2 was born due to that IVF, we were surprised with a positive pg test all on our own after her 1st birthday. That little one is now 20 months old, and I am 18 weeks into ANOTHER surprise pregnancy.

I only post that to note that antisperm antibodies aren't any sort guarantee against pregnancy.

FernHollow 05-20-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowitchgrl (Post 15123073)
I've heard horror stories so we've taken it off the table totally

Yep, same here. We have 5 children and are definitely DONE...but our plans for dh getting it done are definitely not happening now. I have a family member suffering from chronic pain from his vasectomy and was told by his doctor that is usually about 2 out of 5 men that deal with that same issue.

We've also realized after our recent discussions that we are much happier without either of us being sterilized to prevent more babies. We also have had it pushed that when we were "done" that was what you were supposed to do. There are plenty of other responsible ways to choose not to have another child without surgery.