Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non Traditional Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Common mistakes after divorce. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1395940)

JeDeeLenae 05-19-2012 09:26 AM

Common mistakes after divorce.

I am still finding my way through this mess. For those that don't know me, I am getting a divorce. STBX is still in Vegas, I moved to MI with the kids. Any advice you found handy besides the obvious (don't talk bad about ex, don't use kids as pawns, etc.)

Sent from my Nook Tablet using DS Forum

Suzi 05-19-2012 04:39 PM

Re: Common mistakes after divorce.

Ugh. Besides not talking bad about ex it was hard for me to learn to say good things about him. My boys love him.

I waited a year until I started dating again and I wish I'd actually waited longer, lol. It was hard to get myself all settled again. Being secure in yourself is the best thing you can do.

bluedaisyma 05-19-2012 05:40 PM

getting things in writing. my XH was all nice when we separated and was like, sure I will pay for you to declare bankruptsy, you will of course still homeschool and be in charge of their health care......so all we had in writing (we did our divorce ourselves online) was that we had 50/50 joint custody....fast forward to a few months after the separation, he met someone and all the sudden, the following year, the kids were in school, he started taking them to different doctors and not paying for alternative care, etc and not paying for me to declare....stuff that really messed me up. I wish I had gotten that stuff in writing. Like I said, it was VERY amiable when we were the only 2 involved, but once she came into the pic, he was all about listening to her. Now, 4 yrs later, it's finally better.

jamieism 05-19-2012 05:47 PM

Being a little flexible with each other. Yes, get things in writing, but then being willing to accommodate each other went a long ways. Letting him have something he wanted also made it easier for me to ask and get things I wanted that were "off text"

Also, at first we were splitting all kinds of expenses - dc, camp, co-pays. Now we do it - your place is yours and mine is mine. SO much better, but then my ex is a super invasive creature, so maybe that is specific to this case...

Anyway, doing everything I could to keep it civil - including editing out all the angry words from my emails. It's energy consuming but I get what I want more often and it's better for DD when things are polite and civil on the surface, no matter how I feel inside

jamieism 05-19-2012 05:50 PM

Oh, and accept that he will do things differently than you and let it go. You can't parent at his house and you don't want him parenting at yours. He will have different rules, and may do things you HATE. Too bad. Unless he is seriously endangering them, or he asks your opinion, keep your mouth shut.

babylove921 05-25-2012 04:09 PM

Still having a sexual relationship.

Kirsie 05-28-2012 10:56 AM

I wish I had some answers for you. My ex and I separated in 2007 and I still struggle to tolerate him for the most part. On the bright side, he's a particularly special type of douche bag.

jac1976 05-28-2012 12:20 PM

Don't put the kids in a position where they have to choose- even for things as simple as "whose car do you want to ride in?" I remember being asked to make those decisions after my parents got divorced, and I hated them. I always felt like whatever choice I made was going to hurt someone's feelings. That sucked.

MiriRose 06-06-2012 10:47 AM

Hi there ~ I'm sorry that you're going through a divorce, I know that's very tough. Through my time working with Focus on the Family, I'm aware of some information on their website that might be helpful during this time of transition. God bless you!

eguisgirl 06-06-2012 10:49 AM

Get child support directly deposited and taken from his checks. Best. Thing. Ever. I wishI would have done it years ago.