Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Gahh!! This is why so many cloth newbies have laundry issues! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1398047)

el's mama 05-23-2012 08:39 PM

Gahh!! This is why so many cloth newbies have laundry issues!

I'm a fan of many cloth stores on Facebook. A store re-posted a mama's post on their page asking for laundry help. She had stink and ammonia and stripping hadn't helped. You'll never guess what detergent she was using. Are you ready? Yep! You guessed it! Rockin Green! People are suggesting she strip with something else or try Charlie's or Allen's and one mom chimed in that too MUCH detergent causes stink so try less (she uses half a tbsp). :banghead: People posted long, complicated wash routines with tons of rinses. I just want to shout "IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE SO HARD!!!" Luckily, many recommended Tide so hopefully the mama will go for that (or another detergent that actually works). I just get so frustrated by all the incorrect information floating around. The store owner recommended another RnG product (ya know, since it's working so well for this mom so far) and cautioned that using Tide will void warranties. I feel like store owners should be willing to offer the best advice to mamas, even if it means they lose a detergent customer. By all means, warn about the warranty, but be willing to admit that Tide works for most people and very well could solve the issue. End rant.

alaskamum 05-23-2012 09:08 PM

Re: Gahh!! This is why so many cloth newbies have laundry issues!

Like.

rohirette 05-23-2012 09:12 PM

Yep.

Although I do wonder why people can't figure out that a washer full of feces and urine sodden fabric might need MORE detergent, not less. I thought that advice to use a teaspoon or whatever was crap from day 1.

pottermomma 05-23-2012 09:14 PM

So true. At the cloth 101 class I took I was told to use tide lol. She said they carried rng but it didn't work for everyone and after years of trouble shooting and clothing herself tide is the best option in her opinion (coming from the store owner)

MandaMommy2 05-23-2012 09:21 PM

Hello I'm new to cloth diapering and I haven't bought any of the special detergents yet because I wasn't sure I wanted to. I've seem some pretty crazy ideas about how to wash these things with a billion rinses, but I can't afford to waste that much hot water. I was given 6 used pocket diapers that I did a presoak in cold and then a hot wash with tide filled to the #1 line. Then I line dried them. The diapers were clean of course when they were given to me, but I just wanted to wah them myself before I put them on my little girl we're expecting in September. Is this how I should wash dirty diapers? And do covers need to so a presoak?

dannic 05-23-2012 09:29 PM

I use tide and do a cool rinse, hot wash, extra rinse. No soaking required. Theo nly time I had issues was when I followed cd "safe" instructions with RnG.:thumbsup:

cdwelton 05-23-2012 09:29 PM

I had this same problem with a few people last week. My IRL friend was having BAD ammonia and was using 1 Tbs of detergent. I told her to use more (I use 1/4 cup) and this girl got all over my case saying that will cause repelling. HER DIAPERS STINK, THEY ARE DIRTY! She said no more than 2 Tbs. Pssssh. That might work for some, but if your diapers stink use more.

I also think it's crazy when people think that ammonia is because of detergent build up?? No.

A.Fred 05-23-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdwelton (Post 15142250)
I had this same problem with a few people last week. My IRL friend was having BAD ammonia and was using 1 Tbs of detergent. I told her to use more (I use 1/4 cup) and this girl got all over my case saying that will cause repelling. HER DIAPERS STINK, THEY ARE DIRTY! She said no more than 2 Tbs. Pssssh. That might work for some, but if your diapers stink use more.

I also think it's crazy when people think that ammonia is because of detergent build up?? No.

For real. People are crazy! When clothes are super dirty..don't you add MORE detergent? So why not with diapers?! :headscratch: Makes no logical sense to me. :dunno: I love me some Tide :giggle:

ivparker 05-23-2012 09:45 PM

So so true. I have been cloth diapering for 8 years and have had friends that wanted to quit and some that did quit cding because they insited on using a natural detergent but it just doesn't work as good as Tide. And now they are using sposies because they wanted to use a natural detergent! I must say that its not because they refused to use Tide its just that they couldn't believe that that would be the solution to their problems.

qsefthuko 05-23-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 (Post 15142210)
Hello I'm new to cloth diapering and I haven't bought any of the special detergents yet because I wasn't sure I wanted to. I've seem some pretty crazy ideas about how to wash these things with a billion rinses, but I can't afford to waste that much hot water. I was given 6 used pocket diapers that I did a presoak in cold and then a hot wash with tide filled to the #1 line. Then I line dried them. The diapers were clean of course when they were given to me, but I just wanted to wah them myself before I put them on my little girl we're expecting in September. Is this how I should wash dirty diapers? And do covers need to so a presoak?

You did perfectly right. A lot of mamas will use bleach occasionally, especially with new to you diapers to ensure against yeast or any other problems passing from one baby to another.