Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Double Post - Pleae delete Praying domperidone helps (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1398070)

neuro_mom 05-23-2012 11:03 PM

Double Post - Pleae delete Praying domperidone helps

Hi ladies,
Apparently, there are no long-term studies indicating the safety of domperidone for breastfed babies. My ob/gyn refused to prescribe any more reglan (I've had 2 trials w/ success but he'd only give it me for 24 days w/ weaning off the first time and then 10 days w/ going off of it cold turkey the second time). Each time I went off the reglan, my milk supply dropped significantly. I also keep starting my period which screws up my milk supply :banghead: This time I was w/out the reglan when I started my period and had to take fenugreek and blessed thistle like crazy in addition to pumping more often. I also started taking brewer's yeast a few days ago. I eat oatmeal daily. Ob/gyn said that domperidone was similar to reglan and that there were no long-term studies for that medication either so he refused to prescribe it. He suggested that I start supplementing.

Apparently, you can get a prescription for domperidone and have it filled at a compounding pharmacy in the U.S. I called the pediatrician yesterday. He wanted to see ds and me today to discuss the matter. He also said that there were no longterm studies on the effects of domperidone on the nursing infant. I mentioned all the literature I found on kellymom website. He stated that you needed to have thousands of women in the study to know if there were any adverse effects (like maybe the medication affects 1 in 100,000 babies). Good luck finding that study. So it was a no go with him too. He told me that my body was telling me that it didn't want to breastfeed anymore and that my milk supply would likely dry up before ds hits 6 months. Ds is 4 months right now. He told me to keep doing what I'm doing but that I should start supplementing. I went home and cried.:cry:

Thanks to your posts on this forum, I found where I can get domperidone online w/out a script. I talked to dh about how it is approved in other countries for breastfeeding but not here. Dh is supportive and said that the U.S. is always lagging behind and that I should try it. Just ordered it and am praying that it will help.:pray:

In the meantime, I'll continue the fenugreek, blessed thistle, brewer's yeast, oatmeal, mother's milk tea, and pumping. The lactation consultant I've seen (who agrees it's truly a low milk supply issue because my hormones get screwed up every time I start a period) also suggested Motherlove More Milk Plus. So I'll go get some of that while I wait for the shipment of domperidone. Anyone have any problems receiving domperidone from InhousePharmacy.biz? Any problems w/ customs or does it hopefully go through?

Is there anything I can do to ward off the stupid periods? At night, I get up one time to pump or nurse but I'm wondering if that's enough. Physically, I don't know how I'd manage waking up another time since I already feel sleep deprived though. Anything else I should be doing?

lecialefty 05-24-2012 05:52 AM

Sorry, will post in other thread.