Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Nov (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   What do you in my position? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1398810)

MrsA08 05-25-2012 06:26 PM

What do you in my position?

I had a Cesarean with my first daughter because she was breach. While I was still in the hospital I asked my OB if a VBAC would possible when we had a second child. They said barring any complications they would support it.

Apparently the hospitals around here are banning them because it ties up an entire OR team for the duration of your labor. The hospital I am planning on delivering at is still allowing them, but they have a hearing soon to decide whether or not to still allow them.

I am super frustrated about all this as I would really rather not go through another unnecessary surgery just because it inconveniences the hospital. I have to be on blood thinners throughout my pregnancy and will be switched to a different one around 35 weeks that only lasts 12 hours. Obviously it will be very important for me to be in a hospital and being monitored while giving birth. I don't know, I guess I just wanted to vent somewhere because I feel like I'm being robbed of my ability to make my own choice for myself.

qsefthuko 05-25-2012 07:23 PM

Re: What do you in my position?

We traveled almost an hour and a half to try for a vbac. In the end I didn't get it because of my personal medical records but I feel good about trying everything I could.

My mother knows several women who are traveling 3 hours to be out of state and be able to deliver the way they want to.

qsefthuko 05-25-2012 07:26 PM

At 37 weeks my lo stopped moving. When monitered he had heart decells. Even if my personal medical situation had allowed it we weren't having a natural birth regardless. It turned out to be 4 tight cord wraps.

I was willing to travel 5 hours and stay with friends if it was a possiblity to do it safely.

MrsA08 05-27-2012 07:34 PM

I don't really know anyone around where we live, so going somewhere else isn't an option. If if I went back to where my parents live, the whole state there has banned them. It's just frustrating that someone else is making this decision for me.

Lizbet 05-28-2012 12:00 AM

I would definitely pursue it if possible. It's even harder to find someone for a VBA2C. I know you have to be on blood thinners, but are you at all comfortable with talking to a midwife and discussing your options of a birthing center birth or even a home birth? I'm pursuing a VBA2C with this pregnancy, and for years had dreamed of a home birth, but my fiance is not at all comfortable with being out of the hospital (he's a paramedic so he's scared of a lot of things).

Definitely find an OB who is 100% willing to back you on this VBAC. That's the most important thing. I've met with doctors who were lukewarm on the whole idea, and had many stipulations (continuous internal monitoring, forced epidural, no walking to encourage labor, etc).

Find a doula who has experience with hospital (or home if you're comfortable) VBACs. Having an outside support like a doula will help soo much.

MrsA08 05-28-2012 11:04 AM

A homebirth is out of the question because of the need for medical intervention immediately. They don't have birthing centers here, we don't live in an area where there is a very dense population. There are only 2 hospitals that my OB's can deliver at and one of them already banned VBAC's. Really my only hope is if the one hospital decides to keep pursuing them.
There is a chapter of ICAN (International Cesarian Awareness Network) here that are working pretty hard to keep them as an option at the second hospital. It's good to know that there are some people on my side, but I still feel discouraged as a lot of the surgeons that perform other operations are against keeping VBACs as an option as it interrupts their surgery schedules.

armywife70 05-28-2012 01:01 PM

How awful that one hospital already said no to VBAC's....this makes me really sad. I am so glad you have another option...hopefully you can find a good doula and a very supportive ob. C sections can be wonderful life saving options, but if you could go naturally I think you would have an over all much better recovery and experience!

I pray that all gets worked out for you and you are able to have the birth experience you always wanted!

MrsA08 06-03-2012 04:56 PM

Erg, they just came out with an article in yesterday paper about the banning of VBACs and it said the the second hospital will be discontinuing them July 1st because their liability insurance company asked them to due to the fact that more women would be seeking VBACs there since the other hospital nearby banned them. Now the closest place that offers them is 80 miles away!
We aren't exactly in a financial position to be driving 80 miles twice a month and switching doctors isn't really in my plans. I am so upset. Now every time I see other people's incredible birth stories I get saddened because I know I will never have an opportunity to have the birth of my choice. I freakin' hate bureaucracy.

MrsA08 06-03-2012 04:57 PM

Erg, they just came out with an article in yesterday paper about the banning of VBACs and it said the the second hospital will be discontinuing them July 1st because their liability insurance company asked them to due to the fact that more women would be seeking VBACs there since the other hospital nearby banned them. Now the closest place that offers them is 80 miles away!
We aren't exactly in a financial position to be driving 80 miles twice a month and switching doctors isn't really in my plans. I am so upset. Now every time I see other people's incredible birth stories I get saddened because I know I will never have an opportunity to have the birth of my choice. I freakin' hate bureaucracy.

clatchford2011 06-03-2012 06:29 PM

my OB is a no go on vbac but I am doing it anyway. What can they do when i go in and am ready to push? nothing. I don't honestly believe I will have complications and as of now both baby and I are 100% ok. My BP and weight is awesome so no complaints other than RLP.

Good Luck mama!