Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   How much milk to thaw? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399250)

SomeThing 05-27-2012 10:08 AM

How much milk to thaw?

I'm going back to work soon and will need to start thawing BM from my stash. It's frozen in 3-5 oz bags. We've been giving LO a bottle once in a while to get used to it, and LO eats a different amount each time. Sometimes only about 3 oz, sometimes more than 5 oz.

So, how do I know how much milk to thaw of each feeding? If I overestimate, can I use the excess from one feeding for the next time?

Also, will the amount I pump at work always be the same as what LO would have nursed?

abunchoflemons 05-27-2012 11:13 AM

Re: How much milk to thaw?

Electric pump will eventually get u more. Its not hard to thaw milk. So I would go on the lower end & keep in freezer @ easy place to get at if need more.
You aren't to mix milk containers of milk because older will go bad first & not good to put in a newer
one then all be bad. U shouldn't
refreeze because bad too fast when rethaw & so on......

abunchoflemons 05-27-2012 11:13 AM

Electric pump will eventually get u more. Its not hard to thaw milk. So I would go on the lower end & keep in freezer @ easy place to get at if need more.
You aren't to mix milk containers of milk because older will go bad first & not good to put in a newer
one then all be bad. U shouldn't
refreeze because bad too fast when rethaw & so on......

SomeThing 05-27-2012 11:26 AM

OK, thanks.

tmunky 05-29-2012 01:12 AM

The rule of thumb is 1 oz for every hour you are away from your lo. this is pretty accurate for my lo. Since thawing is fairly easy in the bags I would just thaw what you think you'll need for the day plus one more bag. if your lo doesn't use the extra, save it for the next day. You should be able to pump what your lo will need, but may not be able to. I can only pump about 8oz and mine drinks a good 12-16 a day. Important thing isn't to stress yourself out over it, that affects your supply.
Good luck!

keen1981 05-29-2012 11:50 AM

Freeze in consistent amounts. A breastfed baby should be fed frequently. I would freeze in 3ounce increments and feed LO every 2.5-3 hours. This is the way it's done for all breastfed babies in my care. It's always been perfection.

SomeThing 05-30-2012 06:49 PM

Seems like LO isn't consistent. Today I was gone for 3.5 hrs, and LO consumed 2 bottles of 5oz each. But yesterday it was only 1 bottle in 4 hrs.

Luckily, as several of you have pointed out it's easy enough to thaw milk in the bags.

keen1981 05-30-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeThing
Seems like LO isn't consistent. Today I was gone for 3.5 hrs, and LO consumed 2 bottles of 5oz each. But yesterday it was only 1 bottle in 4 hrs.

Luckily, as several of you have pointed out it's easy enough to thaw milk in the bags.

Actually imo he was grossly overfed. That's a massive amount of milk for a breastfed baby. Especially in the time frame given. The tummy is the size of the child fist. Imagine how grossly stretched it would have to become to accommodate that milk? And if done consistently then, baby 'needs' that amount to be full. Much like overeaters train their stomach to tolerate extreme stretching.

Bottles shouldn't exceed 4 ounces. And I would suggest other means of comforting than just feeding. The bottle force feeds. Literally forcing milk down the throat with each suck. It's important to stop feeding and try other means of soothing. Swaddling, rocking, pacifier, ect. At that rate, your milk supply most likely will not, and can not meet the demand as it is not a normal demand that he would have made at the breast. If you have over supply, you might sustain, but most likely not.

You and your care provider should spend time on kellymom.com to research bottle feeding. Breastfed babies rarely consume 10 ounces in 8-10 HOURS.

SomeThing 05-30-2012 08:02 PM

Wow, I didn't know that! It's not unusual for LO to nurse twice in 4 hrs when I'm home, so I just thought he gets about 5oz each time at the breast too. We'll try to give less tomorrow and see how that goes. Thanks!

greek4 05-30-2012 08:11 PM

With our sitter, I just took a bag full of frozen milk every few days. I labeled the day and she thawed it out as she used it.