Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Buying a stroller, sunscreen, wool question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400015)

Rdesonia 05-29-2012 09:56 AM

Buying a stroller, sunscreen, wool question

I'm going to buy a cheapo $20 umbrella stroller to take on vacation. DD has an awesome jogger that was a carseat/stroller combo. The problem is it is so BIG even when folded that it takes up too much space in the back of our car. (It is a hatchback Chevy HHR.)

We started to make a list of things we needed to buy... :banghead: I know dd is going to need suncreen but what kind to use on a baby? (She will be 11 months). We will be going to California (Disney & the beach).

I was going to bring cloth diapers but DH is wanting to do sposies during the day.(Only using our cloth at night and traveling. He would prefer 100% sposie but we compromised.) We used sposies in March and I hated them. I don't think they fit well and we had poo leaks. (Every poo seemed to come out the back. :yuck:) I actually used 2 different sizes (3 and 4) and it made no difference. We will have access to a laundry mat on site as we are staying in a condo. (Possibly we might have one in the unit but DH's parents booked them and won't give me a straight answer.) Since dd doesn't have a scheduled poo time and sometimes goes once ... other times 3 times a day... I really don't see how changing her clothes is easier. I'm also afraid her carseat or the stroller might get pooped on.

I wonder if I made Wool liners for the car seat and the stroller and lanolized them... if that would be too hot? I have a wool blanket that is kinda thin (much thinner than an Army wool blanket) that I bought second hand a while back. (I was going to make some newborn wool diaper covers but didn't. It is already felted. I sew and have few tubes of lansinoh. )

Has anyone made Wool liners for a carseat or stroller? Is that just a crazy idea for California in June?

deadducky112 05-29-2012 10:05 AM

Re: Buying a stroller, sunscreen, wool question

Wool sounds like it might be too hot, what about just a thin blanket? And honestly, if DH is pushing to use sposies then I say he needs to clean up any mess that is caused by them.. no way that would ever fly with me! I dont see why sposies are even an option since there is laundry where you are going, how is that any different from being at home?

As for the sunscreen, I use Alba botanica on my 10 month old (and myself.) It works great and stays on for a while, plus its one of the safer ones out there.

pinky74 05-29-2012 10:20 AM

Wool is not hot as you would think, it actually breathes and would pull moisture, essentially sweat or diaper leaks. It could be a good option. What sposies did you use? Did they have back elastic? I know the huggies movers do, actually waist and inner barrier. While sposies are frowned upon...they have a purpose for situations as does paper plates, etc.

MavericksMama 05-29-2012 10:36 AM

You can buy PUL pads from different sites. They have them on Amazon, The EC Store, Abby's Lane might have them. I'd get one of those, they are so handy. Another option is, putting a PUL cover over her sposie (gross, hot, I know!) What about a different brand of sposies? What has she worn before? We have always found Luvs to fit best, despite people claiming they are no good. They have worked way better than Pampers or Huggies for both my kids and niece.

bcb1961 05-29-2012 10:37 AM

I use Neutrogena pure and natural or something like that. It's an all-mineral sunscreen that you can find locally. It's in a pink and white bottle.

bcb1961 05-29-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavericksMama (Post 15166606)
You can buy PUL pads from different sites. They have them on Amazon, The EC Store, Abby's Lane might have them. I'd get one of those, they are so handy. Another option is, putting a PUL cover over her sposie (gross, hot, I know!) What about a different brand of sposies? What has she worn before? We have always found Luvs to fit best, despite people claiming they are no good. They have worked way better than Pampers or Huggies for both my kids and niece.

If you want to go the PUL route, you could actually just buy yardage of it. You can get a 60" by 36" piece for around $10.

harmoni247 05-29-2012 11:47 AM

PUL is going to be WAY hotter than wool. Havent you guys say on an old persons plastic covered couch in the summer? Hot and sticky :yuck:

luvsviola 05-29-2012 12:11 PM

I would just put a receiving blanket under her. Disney is HOT to begin with.

Also...you are going to want a stroller with a GOOD sun canopy at Disney. It is a lot of time in the sun. We go every year, but there is no way I'd take a $20 umbrella stroller. We take the BJCM because it has a good sun canopy and folds really easily.

My favorite dipes are the Costo/Huggies diapers with elastic in the back. I like Target ones too.

mamashhon 05-29-2012 02:38 PM

We live in FL and just did Seaworld for two days in scorching 90 degree weather with a 3 month old. He's too young for sunscreen but here's what we did:

We don't use strollers like ever... So I just got a cheapo umbrella stroller too, no canopy. Baaad idea. I ended up wearing him most of the day and using sun hats. It was so hot. Next time (we have annual passes) I will create some sort of stroller shade.

I also cloth diapered (in prefolds!) The entire time. We stayed in a hotel over night, no laundry. My 4yo has special needs and is also in diapers.

I'd just recommend cotton or flannel, like an old receiving blanket or something rather than wool.

We live in Daytona and are used to constant sun. I have a beach umbrella to take the baby to the beach. Its just too sunny/hot without one.

As for sunscreen, I use California baby on my kids who are old enough for it.

thtr4me 05-29-2012 02:55 PM

You might want one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YJSV66A1WQYPEX

And we use something similar to these on our changing table. They might work in the stroller as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Carters-Keep-F...8324836&sr=1-3