Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bedtimes and Wake-up Times (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400210)

Hungry Caterpillar 05-29-2012 03:48 PM

Bedtimes and Wake-up Times

I'm wondering what time your kids go to bed, and subsequently what time they wake up? I'm currently debating with my husband if we do see an "early to bed, late to rise" effect, or if later to bed means sleeping a little bit later. We are not morning people and my son has begun to wake up at 5:50 on the dot everyday which is a bit rough. Poll coming with options, please choose bedtime and wake-up time

Please give your kids' ages too, if possible. Thank you!

AfWife8405 05-29-2012 03:51 PM

Re: Bedtimes and Wake-up Times

6 yr old & 4.5 yr old - asleep by 8 pm, awake by 6:30 am

3 yr old - asleep by 7pm, awake by 6:30 am

EmilytheStrange 05-29-2012 03:55 PM

8pm to bed, 530am wakeup.

This is new. She used to wake up at 7, but has been waking up closer to 5 for about a month. She's 20 months.

The general child belief is 'if you put them down late, they wake early' and if you want them to sleep in, put them down early.

Also sleep begets sleep. DD wakes up worse if her nap was short.

Wanderlust 05-29-2012 03:57 PM

My twins are 25 months old. They apparently inherited me and DH's night owl genes.

They go to sleep between 9-930pm and wake up at 830. They also take a long afternoon nap (4-4.5 hours). We're fine with it- this allows them to see DH for a little while when he works really late.

Even when they were younger and their bedtimes were 7 pm, they'd still wake up at 830.

heidisue 05-29-2012 04:05 PM

Putting a child in bed earlier won't make them stay in bed longer in the AM, unless they are laying in bed without sleeping.

I put both my boys down between 8-8:30. The two year old usually falls asleep pretty quick. The 4 year old almost always stays awake in bed for about an hour. The 2 year old wakes up about 7:00 and the 4 year old wakes up about 8:00. On the days my 4 year old falls asleep quickly (not often, LOL!), he wakes up with the littlest.

How long they are sleeping on naps makes a difference too.

adavieau 05-29-2012 04:19 PM

I have 4.5 yr old a 2.5 yr old and an 11 month old. We put them down between 7 pm and 7:30 and they older two are awake around 7 am. The baby usually wakes up around 6:30ish but I nurse him and he goes back to sleep until around 9.

melyndie 05-29-2012 04:19 PM

dp

eljube112 05-29-2012 04:23 PM

I have 4.5, 2.5, 15m and they all go to bed at 630.

It's a toss up for who will wake up first in the morning, but it's usually between 7 and 730. They are all in the same room, so once one is up, they're all up.

15m sleeps in the afternoon, usually 3 hours.

melyndie 05-29-2012 04:23 PM

Putting a child to sleep earlier will help them sleep in longer if they need the additional sleep. They will ultimately sleep longer per night long-term and not necessarily on just an individual night you put them to bed early. It is THE way, in my experience, for getting an overtired baby or child to catch up on sleep and be overall more rested. Also, it can help with establishing better naps if that is a problem.

Right now DD (almost 2) goes to bed between 7 and 7:30 and wakes up between 8 and 8:30. She does not usually take a nap during the day (she seems to have outgrown naps early. BTW, her naps disappeared before her nights lengthened, so sleeping 12-13 hours a night was not the cause of her stopping naps). She will go through a week or two with sleeping long like this, then another week or two with waking at 7 or 7:30. A few weeks ago she even was waking as early as 6:30 (that made her grumpy all day). So all that is to say, her sleep patterns drift around a bit and her sleep needs change week to week and month to month. She has generally always been one to sleep longer at night than most babies and toddlers her age, though.

iris0110 05-29-2012 04:25 PM

Bedtime here is 8pm though lately we haven't quite been making it. The boys have TKD every night but Tuesday until 7pm and then dinner plus showers for Kearnan most nights of the week so hitting that 8pm mark is hard. I really just want to get them into the bathroom brushing their teeth plus Kearnan's shot right around 8 so I can start reading to them by 8:30 or so. They get up around 8AM or later. We homeschool so we aren't strict on mornings. I would love to get up earlier but we just aren't lately.