Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   S/O: Well baby checks.. girls different than boys? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400245)

Michelle_M 05-29-2012 05:02 PM

S/O: Well baby checks.. girls different than boys?

Ok.. I have three boys and am pregnant with my little girl.

I know that at a well baby check for boys, they check the testicles and stuff. But in another thread, someone said she has girls and "the diaper has never come off" at any of her well baby checks.

So they don't check to make sure the girl genitals are developing correctly?

Is there anything else that is different for a girl check than a boy check?

God bless!

stevensmom 05-29-2012 05:04 PM

Our dr will take one side off of her diaper to do a quick look and diaper back on. No more than 30 seconds.

Not much different than ds's check ups. Quick look and back on.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

VinhThiMom 05-29-2012 05:09 PM

Re: S/O: Well baby checks.. girls different than boys?

I don't think our ped ever looked in DD's diaper. I know he checked DS's testicles, though.

sisu 05-29-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevensmom
Our dr will take one side off of her diaper to do a quick look and diaper back on. No more than 30 seconds.

Not much different than ds's check ups. Quick look and back on.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

Same here.

EmilytheStrange 05-29-2012 05:44 PM

Her diaper comes off for weighing and they check her. For abnormalities, yeast, diaper rash, whatever. Doesn't take long. Isn't invasive. Usually a look, can't recall any touches, but maybe once cause we were looking for signs of thrush.

mibarra 05-29-2012 05:50 PM

The doc strips her down, including diaper, visually examines her genitals, and checks the arteries in the crotch where the thigh joins it, as well as range of motion for her legs. :)

Dory 05-29-2012 05:51 PM

Weight check, and also I *think* I remember lightly poking at the lower belly which is normally covered by the diaper. I never thought to ask what he was feeling for, hernia maybe? But it wasn't on her little girl parts, just nearby.

abunchoflemons 05-29-2012 05:57 PM

Mine check on both my 13 month. & 7 yr. Idk what person said no checks down there 4 girls.

CurtsBabyMama 05-29-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 15168823)
The doc strips her down, including diaper, visually examines her genitals, and checks the arteries in the crotch where the thigh joins it, as well as range of motion for her legs. :)

This is also what goes on at DDs checks.

TooBusyBearcubs 05-29-2012 06:08 PM

Well, your ped really should be checking your DD's girly bits.
When both DS & DD were infants, the nurse would instruct us to take their diaper off for their weight check, on again while waiting for the doc to join us in the exam room, and then off again for a few moments during the exam.
The ped (we've always seen female peds) usually requests the dipe be off to check their hip rotation, quick glance at the labia, a gentle tummy exam (sometimes the dipe can be on for that one), and any concerns you may have about that area (like yeast). Then the dipe goes back on. It is never invasive, but it is a normal part of the well infant exam.
We saw 3 different docs in the first practice we went to, and another at our new practice, and they ALL do a quick check of the diaper area, regardless of the child's gender.
I can understand missing it once, or even twice, but if your DD has been through multiple exams and the ped has NEVER checked her girly bits, then I'm pretty sure they aren't doing a complete exam.