Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What to use as mosquito repellant for dd and DS (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400325)

Anna0623 05-29-2012 08:19 PM

What to use as mosquito repellant for dd and DS

Not sure why but everytime my dd and DS go out to play normal 11am -12 they get eaten by Mosquitos and they scratch the bites until they bleeped. What could I use to repel the Mosquitos and to help with all of the bites they have already. Not like I can keep them in the house all day! Any help or advice would be great.

kelpie169 05-29-2012 08:25 PM

Gonna sound weird but make them eat lots o garlicky stuff. Maybe even run them down with garlic...the liquid from minced garlic or crush some cloves and run it on. Always worked for us. They'll need a bath and tooth brushing after but thy won't be bitten up. As for the bites they already have-milk baths help my son. Use powdered milk and baking soda in a bath...takes the itch right out.

sisu 05-29-2012 09:23 PM

I just read somewhere that peppermint essential oil does a great job. Mix some in a spray bottle with a bit of water, shake, and spray it on. I didn't get to try it yet, though, so I can't tell you if it really does work.

Anna0623 05-29-2012 10:15 PM

Re: What to use as mosquito repellant for dd and DS

Thank you both I will be trying both things just need to buy some garlic and peppermint oil too! Will be heading to the store to Tomorrow.

bobbyjk 05-30-2012 06:51 AM

I just bought this from Walmart the other day: EcoSmart Organic Insect Repellant. It was near the home and garden section. All natural ingredients no chemicals and no DEET. The active ingredients are Geraniol (from Geraniums), Rosemary Oil, Cinammon Oil, Lemongrass Oil

dancermommy1 05-30-2012 06:54 AM

I love the California Baby repellant. Usually citronella based sprays don't work for me (I'm like a mosquito magnet), but this works extraordinarily well, and I feel comfortable using it on DS. I also place citronella plants around my patio, and rub up against them to get the oils on me.... I rub leaves on DS, also.

I've not had luck with peppermint oil, thought is IS a good ant repellant. Garlic can work, so I hear, but it also repels friends & family, lol...

Seriously, the California baby is expensive but lasts a long time and smells nice, DEET free.

Also, do try citronella plants--it's safer for you than burning the candles & inhaling the fumes, and I think works better. Plus, you have the added advantage of being able to rub the leaves all over you & your kids--which is a natural repellant. For that matter, plant geraniums and lemongrass and rub those on you, as well!

Nerissa 05-30-2012 08:17 AM

I havne't had any luck with the "natural" bug repellents. Every time I tried a new one everyone came home with horrible bug bites.