Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Poll: Am I a terrible, mean mother? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400333)

megenic 05-29-2012 08:43 PM

Poll: Am I a terrible, mean mother?

DD1 will be going to kindergarden in September. This makes me :cry: I know she will do wonderfully, and I'm not worried about her (much) but at the same time it's going to be very hard for me and a big adjustment for her. She's been home with me her whole life and has only even been with a sitter/family a few times. She is very social and academically smart, so I'm not worried about all that.

What I am worried about is the BUS! She will be 4 when she goes, turning 5 in November. I don't plan to send her on the bus. DH can drop her off on his way to work and I can pick her up in the afternoon. Her school is like 10 minutes away and I stay home, so it's not an inconvenience or anything. But apparently, me not wanting her on the bus makes me a CRAZY LADY :giggle2: People are downright flabbergasted when I tell them this.

So now I'm all questioning myself. Here is my rationale, and you can decide if I am, indeed, a crazy lady. 1.She is still in a 5 point harness. Buses here don't have seatbelts (do they anywhere?). 2. Sometimes there are substitute bus drivers who obviously don't know every kid. My friend's 5 year old got off at the wrong stop once with a sub driver, and no one knew. My friend was frantic. 3. I remember being a kid, and all the craziness that happens on the bus. 4. She's my baby, and I may be (just a little) overprotective.

So ladies, I'm leaving it up to you. Will my child be okay if I don't let her take the bus this year? Or will she need long-term psychological help because I won't let her have this experience?

MrsAsh 05-29-2012 08:46 PM

Re: Poll: Am I a terrible, mean mother?

I'd never put a child on a bus, esp a 4 yo!! I think you are making the best choice. :)

mamaerica 05-29-2012 08:47 PM

My 4 year old starts Kindergarten in the fall. He is going to a charter school and the school doesn't offer bus services - but even if they did, I would still drive my little guy.

dagmomma 05-29-2012 08:49 PM

I HATE SCHOOL BUSES!!!!!!

You always hhere stories on the news about a 4 yr old who was still on the bus after the driver dropped everyone off and parents were looking for them.

I am not putting my kid on the bus. Oh but I think I will also keep my kids in a carseat until they are like 19:giggle: kidding but not really.

sisu 05-29-2012 08:50 PM

I will do anything to keep my kids off buses when the time comes, so if you're a crazy lady at least you aren't the only one. :)

CntryMama 05-29-2012 08:51 PM

The bus scares me more then school! People are so mean on the bus :cry:

saongiri 05-29-2012 08:51 PM

nope not crazy my ds will be starting kindy next year too and i will drive him

pcjs 05-29-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CntryMama (Post 15169727)
The bus scares me more then school! People are so mean on the bus :cry:

There are mean people everywhere. I'd probably drive/walk at least for the first few weeks and then maybe transition with her coming home.

bigmamakelsey 05-29-2012 08:55 PM

I will be driving DS to school, especially at that age (if not always.) I hate buses.

musicalisa 05-29-2012 08:56 PM

We have kids who get dropped off/picked up daily. It's totally not a big deal to them! You have to be comfortable with your decision - go with your gut.