Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Working Retail: any daycare advice? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400468)

epaashaus 05-30-2012 08:48 AM

Working Retail: any daycare advice?

I work retail which means the schedule varies every week and some shifts don't end until 9:30pm. My husband works out of town during the week. I am having the worst time trying to figure out daycare! Most centers are only open until 6 and the ones that are open for 2nd and 3rd shifts are in scary neighborhoods (and probably not the best quality. i haven't even been inside one after seeing the areas they are in.) My mom is able to help out 1 night a week and until now my mother in law has been helping out some nights too. She is having surgery soon and will be out of commission for about 6 weeks. I need to find a more permanent reliable solution. Anyone have any advice? Do i just have to suck it up and hire a nanny? HELP!

Nerissa 05-30-2012 09:20 AM

Re: Working Retail: any daycare advice?

I think your best bet would be nanny. What about a local high school kid or collage kid that is home for the summer? That would at least buy you some time to figure out a more permnant solution.

adahappy 05-31-2012 07:56 AM

Try to advice some friends who had hired previously. Or you can ad locally too. Nanny is not bad.

MamaJules 05-31-2012 09:05 AM

If you go to church, maybe check with the youth group leader and see if he can recommend one of the high schoolers that would be interested in doing the evenings, and even the days at least for the summer. Then maybe once school starts back up again you could find a daycare for the days, and a high schooler for evenings.

MichGarcia 05-31-2012 01:34 PM

I had this problem while I worked retail hours would change and late as 11:30pm and early as 4:00am. I ended using a family friend, then posted on Craigslist for summer help from high school and college kids.

Do you have family friends, or another mother who is willing. Otherwise post on Craigslist, or check online for other sites that could post you in the right direction. Or call your local DHS that could give you a list of daycares. I met a women who does 24 hour daycare and is certified by the state.

MichGarcia 05-31-2012 01:34 PM

Oops stupid IPad lol.

escapethevillage 05-31-2012 03:49 PM

I would check with your favorite young daycare provider at a center and ask if she'd be willing to babysit at your house a few nights a week.

My daughter works at the Playcenter in our local movie theater, and she babysits on the side. (the kids from the playcenter)

doodah 06-02-2012 06:29 PM

Retail people have the suckiest schedules as far as daycares are concerned. Daycares run on ratios and reliable income....of which your family can provide neither. You dont have a consistent schedule so they dont know when to count your child in the ratios for licensing/legal reasons and you surely can't pay for huge sections of times when your child is not even there (meaning paying for the full spot and only using part time.....most parents dont want to do that). Plus you dont want to compromise on quality so I understand your predicament.

Your best bet is to check into TWO daycare options. One during the daytime that would work with your schedule and only charge when you are there, or charge a reasonable weekly fee and then you use as much as you need. Then find a second option for the times that you have to work past the daycare closing time. You will have to have a reliable babysitter that can work around your schedule and transport your child (or you go get the baby during a break or whatever....or have a relative to get the baby...)

Lizliterarius 06-04-2012 02:12 AM

You poor thing! I can't imagine retail hours without hubby to help. Can you look into another sahm mom who might take your little into their house while you work?

sojomisa 06-06-2012 08:25 AM

Have you done the math to see if it's even feasible to work and pay daycare? Around here night care is more expensive as well. What about switching to a weekend schedule so you could work when dh is home to avoid childcare?

Good luck mama!