Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I need Potty strategies for older children (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400718)

mmmom 05-30-2012 06:48 PM

I need Potty strategies for older children

I have a 3 yrs 9month old child in my classroom that has just made the transition from pull ups to underwear. It was very positive a simple "there are no more diapers so we have to wear underwear" strategy.
The child has never actually used the potty but the parents were done with diapers.
The child was thrilled to be wearing underwear and talk happily about how he was bigger now etc. I truly feel the pull ups were detrimental to his self esteem. However the child still does not use the potty.

The language is there, the skills; the cognitive abilities everything but it is not happening. We are using a very relaxed approach that involves no talking about the potty. If he is wet we simple say "let's go change"

The parents do not want this to be a power struggle but they are losing patience and want to just give up which I feel will be worse. This child needs to be moved to the next class developmentally, physically and maturity wise but can't be because of the potty issues.
Anyone been there done that? This child is extremely strong willed if that makes a difference

my2sweets 05-30-2012 07:32 PM

The parents were done with pull ups but they dont want a power struggle? Thats funny lol I dont have much advice since I let the girls decide when the diapers went byebye but showing no emotions when he has accidents, making him clean it all up, allow him lots! of choices else where(which cup, plate, socks, does he want to open the door or does he want you to, ect ect ect)and read some books about using the potty is all I have. Gl eta-i also dont think not talking about it is going to benefit him. He needs to know what happens, why it happens and what he needs to do about it.

eLiz21730 05-30-2012 07:40 PM

Re: I need Potty strategies for older children

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2sweets (Post 15174263)
showing no emotions when he has accidents, making him clean it all up, allow him lots! of choices else where(which cup, plate, socks, does he want to open the door or does he want you to, ect ect ect)and read some books about using the potty i also dont think not talking about it is going to benefit him. He needs to know what happens, why it happens and what he needs to do about it.

I agree with this!

luvsviola 05-30-2012 08:53 PM

I did cheerios in the potty for DFS...he liked peeing on them. :) We also do the potty timer and take him ever 30 minutes. I know you can't do this at school, but we encouraged him to pee on a tree in the backyard while we were outside. He loved it, so he made sure to go over there. It helped him be aware of when he had to pee. Obviously, we curtailed that after a couple of days, and hosed down the tree. But, he is over 3 and I was willing to try anything to get this done while we were home over memorial day weekend.

mommabritt 05-30-2012 09:17 PM

My ds2 was a late potty user also. He learned at 3.10 years. He is a very strong willed child. It was simply a matter of he finally decided he would.

emerino 05-30-2012 09:35 PM

My dd was strong willed about the potty. She didn't care if she wet herself. It was a struggle for several months. I would make her clean up after an accident (clean herself, I cleaned the floor), only because I knew she was just being stubborn. They were preventable accidents :)

When it was ds's turn, I didn't want to take any chances. When he had an accident, we would "practice" going to the potty 9 times, starting from different rooms of the house. He had to do everything. I'd say "oh! Gotta go potty!!" and we'd (he'd) go to the bathroom, turn on the light, pull down pants, sit on potty, stand, pull on pants, turn off light...9 times! He thought it was fun until about the 7 th time. He was potty trained in one day. It worked bc it taught him how to do it on his own and there was a consequence that was not going to scar him.

The boy needs to be taught what to do. Just acting like nothing happened is not helping, IMO. But whatever is done should be at home, not in front of others.

Ebeuchat 05-30-2012 09:53 PM

My DS had frequent accidents in prek at age 4. His problem was that he would get "too busy" and forget to get up and go until the wetness was there. Nothing we did helped him. Finally by the end of the year it stopped. :(

Samandy 05-30-2012 11:31 PM

We just did the "there are no more diapers" thing in Jan. with DS who was 4 years 3 months at the time. I certainly didn't refrain from talking about the potty though. I frequently took him to the bathroom to try and go. He rarely has accidents but I still have to remind him to go. If I hadn't shown him that he needs to take the time to go potty, he would still be peeing everywhere and pooping his pants.