Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   quick q. re prem baby and insurance co-pays (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400743)

Amanda+2 05-30-2012 08:38 PM

quick q. re prem baby and insurance co-pays

Just trying to cover all bases, I'm being treated for pre-term labor, and its a possibility that the baby will come early.

If it does and needs NICU time, does anyone know how insurance companies work out the payment. My insurance booklet says co-pay of - 4,000 per individual or 8,000 per family. So would the baby be classed under my payment or its own?

We just want to know so we can plan ahead a bit.

Thanks

Michelle_M 05-30-2012 08:43 PM

Re: quick q. re prem baby and insurance co-pays

Most insurance companies will cover the baby under YOU for the first 30 days.
Some will consider a NICU stay a separate person, and as such bby would incure it's own hospital bill.

My best advice would be to call your insurance company, explain what's going on, and get the policy information directly from "the horse's mouth" so to speak.

God bless!

DCAMama 05-30-2012 08:43 PM

Depends on the insurance. Some will cover the baby completely for a normal birth. All I had to pay when my son was born was $1000, that was my deductable. Everything else was covered

Amanda+2 05-30-2012 08:44 PM

Thanks, I always feel a bit nervous about calling the insurance company in case they think i'm trying to 'de-fraud' them and work the system.

I need to man up!

LaughingPeaMama 05-30-2012 08:45 PM

You would end up meeting the whole deductible. 4000 for you plus 4000 for baby. Does you ins pay 100% after that? If not you may want to set up an early payment plan or start paying into a separate savings account to help offset the cost. Also I'd you have a flex spending or healthcare savings account make sure you use those funds roo

Michelle_M 05-30-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda+2 (Post 15174355)
Thanks, I always feel a bit nervous about calling the insurance company in case they think i'm trying to 'de-fraud' them and work the system.

I need to man up!

With my previous births, my personal co-pay covered the baby, but they were normal, no complication births.

I was just thinking that with an extensive NICU stay, they might have different guidelines.

God bless!

abunchoflemons 05-30-2012 09:09 PM

Just ask. We still had to pay like 3000 for normal with epi. I got freaked because I had back labor with first. I think its all good esp if they pay after deductible. Ours is like that but still had to pay for colts to vdr great thing 4 taxes. ...

Vivhop98 05-30-2012 09:15 PM

My son was in the nicu for 11 days. He was counted as a seperate person. His hospital bills were $130,000 but of course the insurance covered most of it. I think we paid $5,000 and we paid it off in about a year. They will do even $20/month if that is all you can do. You will just need to call the hospital and make a payment plan with them.

luvsviola 05-30-2012 09:44 PM

For me, my insurance covered the baby as a separate person.

mibarra 05-30-2012 10:13 PM

This is how it worked for my baby:

Since she was in the NICU longer than I was in the hospital, I paid one hospital admission copay for me, and one for her.

Her care was subject to the single person deductible, so I paid that.

Other than that, I was very lucky with my insurance, and paid NOTHING out of pocket except for procedures that were listed as separate copay/insurance in my plan, such as 10% of labs, x-rays, MRIs.

I would contact your insurance company, explain the situation, and ask them what type of coverage you can expect.

Most time if the baby is discharged with you, you only pay one hospital copay. You may or may not have to pay the deductible separate for baby if it's a NICU stay AND they are discharged with you. With DD2 it was all normal no issues, so we only paid for my hospital copay/deductible.