Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Make-up.... What age (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400801)

irishmama2 05-30-2012 10:02 PM

Make-up.... What age

At what age will you let your DDs wear tasteful make-up out of the house? Trying to settle a debate in my head about this. That's all

z2akids 05-30-2012 10:05 PM

Re: Make-up.... What age

We have a long way to go. But, I would suspect somewhere around 14-16.

She has play makeup that she wears now and again (at age 7) and she wears stage makeup for recitals. Fortunately, she attends a private school that does not allow makeup until the end of 8th grade - and even then only very very minimal.

flintgirl 05-30-2012 10:19 PM

Maybe aroynd 14 or 15. I think that will be something I won't really know until she gets older.

heidisue 05-30-2012 10:21 PM

I would say it depends on the kiddo and the makeup :) 8th grade seems pretty reasonable to me as a guideline, but 14-16 would NOT have been okay for me as a child. I turned 14 my freshman year of high school so to say I couldn't wear makeup until I was 14-16 would have been somewhere between Fresh-Junior year of high school. I would have been the laughing stock of my peers if it actually stuck, LOL! Not that you should base decisions on peers, but I do think it plays a little bit of a role.

Is she responsible? Can she apply it "tastefully"? What grade is she in? Is it worth the argument if there will be one about it? Is it color makeup or clear mascara and sparkle lip gloss?

this_mel_rocks 05-30-2012 10:32 PM

My DD is 13 and has been wearing make-up since she was 12. I approve all products so they are all tasteful. She does have some dark shadows but she applies them correctly so they look nice.

irishmama2 05-30-2012 10:37 PM

She's going into 8th grade and is 13. She walked into the house today after her friend did her make-up. Mind you her friend is the daughter of their church youth group leader but I was shocked that she even had it on. I see girls come out of school in the 6th grade that look like they're on their way to their "evening job" because they wear so much badly applied heavy makeup. I know many of the girls in her class do wear it and she can apply it tastefully but I don't think it's necessary. Her grandma bought her a bunch of colored make-up for Christmas but it's totally different giving it to a 5yo to play with and a 13 yo. I just don't think I, I mean she's, ready to wear it.
This is DD. Don't mind the pic quality, we we're in indian caverns when this was taken.
Attachment 106952

Frizabeans 05-30-2012 10:45 PM

I would think anywhere from13-15. I remember girls wearing it in 7th grade. I didn't till maybe 9th grade but that was more me. Most of my friends moms took them to the Clinque counter and had the lady show them how to put it on and what colors looked right. I dont know if this is common every where but it seemed like every girl I know in my age group had that Clinque trip. Maybe it was a right of passage thing?? Their make up is pretty subdued too so that might have had something to do with it too.

Jen's_4 05-30-2012 10:48 PM

It's up to you. I don't wear makeup and I'm 26. I think it plays too much into trying to have the perfect body or perfect body image.

bluemoonbutterfly 05-30-2012 11:05 PM

I have told my oldest that when she turns 13, I will take her to a professional so that she can learn the proper way to apply makeup. DD1 has a wonderful complexion and I just don't see the sense of covering it up with makeup. I understand where she is coming from wanting to wear makeup. I remember in school wanting to feel more grown up and fit it with others. It got to the point though that not only did I not like the time it took to apply, but how oily it made my face feel.

dncegrl 05-30-2012 11:11 PM

I was allowed to wear it at age 13. Did I actually wear it? Not really. I did maybe a few times a year. I was pushed into it by my mom. I would have happily lived in ignorance about that and shaving for a while longer.