Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   how much should/does a 17month old talk.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400892)

Br2me 05-31-2012 08:10 AM

how much should/does a 17month old talk....

our dd2 is 17 months old and I am kinda getting worried that she doesnt say enough words yet...she understands everything that i say to her and follows directions very well...but just doesnt say alot...i know i shouldnt compare my girls but its sooo hard not too...at 17months dd1 was talking up a storm! everyone could understand her...but i feel like dd2 is not anywhere near that level of speak and just in general may be falling behind her age group...

sooo about how many "words" should a 17month old say...and how clearly should they be speaking?

here's a list of what dd2 says: NOTE they may not all come out clearly but this is what she means
mama
dada
sissy
bubba
juice
eat
more
no
stop
sit
Josh
pawpaw
dog
shoe

edited to add:
ball
shhhh
teetee
Meme

there may be more but right now i cant think of them..i will try to keep a list today of everything she says...

thanks for yalls help!!

KiltedKingdom 05-31-2012 08:23 AM

Re: how much should/does a 17month old talk....

My DS will be 2 on Sunday, and the only words he says clearly are "Mama" and "Pooh" and "NayNay" (it's what he calls his sister). All the rest of his words are missing sounds, like "ba" for "ball". All my boys so far have been late talkers, don't start talking much until after they turn 2, so I'm not worried. I know that in a year from now, I'll probably want him to talk less! :giggle2:

2+2macht4 05-31-2012 08:28 AM

My son does not talk much, he babbles and sometimes you think he is saying something. He is almost 18 months. He says daddy mostly, he also calls our bird daddy, his name is jerrx but I dnt think he can say it. He says naynay for boobies.

He mostly says German words that he hears he chanted gruß Gott for awhile. Now he lickes to say ****e. He just repeats things.

I swear he has said his name a few times.

2+2macht4 05-31-2012 08:28 AM

Haha it edited my german word lol

babylove921 05-31-2012 08:38 AM

Asher is almost 17 months and only says Momma, Mommy and Da-Da. He says Ba, and babbles constantly. I think your fine. I'm actually jealous.

Mac & Cheeses mom 05-31-2012 08:41 AM

My DD2 is also a slow talker. Its as if she waits until she is sure of what she wants to say. She is 17m today

List:
Dadda
Daddy
Momma
Mom
Be'ell (for breille, sissy)
Sis
Hi
Bye
No
A no no (she puts her hand up and shakes her head here)
Yes
Please (only sometimes)
Ok
Potty (only once tho)
Shh
unch (lunch)
Toas (she misses the last t in toast)
Stop
La la (for her doll)
Ba (for ball)
Cuppa (cup)
Juice
Ilk (milk)
Ue (blue)
Pop pop
Pa
Oo (shoe)

All of these she did not say until she could say they clearly. And that is about the end of the list. She does babble a lot and I know she is try to say something. She is looking at things and examining them now, so I know more words are comming.

I would not stress unless your pedi does. All kids words come at their own time most times. My youngest has to be sure of the word before she says it. But you can see the wheels turning as she looks for the word she wants.

champatlife 05-31-2012 08:43 AM

My oldest literally said mama at 17 months, she barely said anything until after age 2. She didnt even babble I was crazy concerned, but she followed directions no problem, so our doc said not to worry, by 2.5 she was saying full clear sentences with a vocabulary that surpassed her peers, and has kept up with that since. My friends used to say it was like talking to a miniature adult. It's almost like she was just soaking up everything all along until it spilled out.

My youngest has been the opposite, so I wouldnt worry about it at all. If she is understanding you she is obtaining.

I know at my youngest 18 month well baby they had a paper that asked if your child knew X amount of words, and it wasnt very high. I think maybe 15.

2+2macht4 05-31-2012 08:45 AM

Oh I forgot he says ba for all too, sometimes it sounds elongated baaaall almost a gentle L

He mainly grunts for things he wants and say ahah, points and ahah.

badmisterkitty 05-31-2012 09:12 AM

At 17 months, our younger DD said just a few words but seemed to have some comprehension. She's almost 22 months now and is finally starting to say a lot of words. Not clearly, mind you. It's been frustrating because our older DD could speak in clear sentences by about 18 months. The younger one knows what she wants, but can't say it so she cries a lot. It's gotten a lot better in the last couple of months, though.

Mac & Cheeses mom 05-31-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmisterkitty
At 17 months, our younger DD said just a few words but seemed to have some comprehension. She's almost 22 months now and is finally starting to say a lot of words. Not clearly, mind you. It's been frustrating because our older DD could speak in clear sentences by about 18 months. The younger one knows what she wants, but can't say it so she cries a lot. It's gotten a lot better in the last couple of months, though.

Yeah, DD2 had a lot of fits over trying to get us to understand her. We went to the show us method, then said the word when we knew what she wanted.